PDA

View Full Version : David Neibert.

91BLOWNSC
11-12-2002, 10:03 PM
I directed this question at you because I know you have answered some of my questions before on this subject. I went to the SuperCoupePerformance.com website and they had listed
"ARP Rod Bolts 190,000 psi tensile strength" Those are Head Bolts right? Like all 20 or whatever I would need? The thing is I called ARP themselves today directly and they told me they did not have them for my application (head bolts that is) but that they did hae the Head Studs for $131.12. So I basically have 2 questions, if ARP doesn't make them, how is SuperCoupePerformance getting them, and second, any specific reason why they call them rod bolts instead of head bolts. Your help is greatly appreciated.

SCme94
11-12-2002, 11:39 PM
I am not David...but to answer your question, the bolts listed on supercoupeperformance.com as "rod bolts" are connecting rod bolts. ARP does not make head bolts for our cars as far as I know.
If you don't want to use ARP studs you will have to just use new Ford bolts.

David Neibert
11-13-2002, 12:34 AM
It's like Tony said, get the studs and you can reuse them if the heads ever need to come off again. I've had the heads off mine twice this year and was glad I had the studs.

David

PS: I thought ARP made head bolts too. Learn something new every day.

XR7 Dave
11-13-2002, 12:54 PM
The rod bolts are "borrowed" from another application. Not sure which one.

Head bolts are cheap from Autozone. They sell TRW bolts and I think I paid $15 (or was it $30 I can't remember) for the set. If you get the studs make sure you follow ARP's directions for torquing, not the Ford manual method.

gldiii
11-13-2002, 01:44 PM
ARP SC Rod Bolts: 2300cc Pinto 4cylinder (say it ain't so!)

SC Ward
11-13-2002, 03:00 PM
George,
you always have more answers than Mr.Science!! :)

And, you take the time to share what you know,
unlike some of the 'old hands' who don't ever bother,
since it was posted before [like, a year ago]. :rolleyes:

Just a note of appreciation.

BT Motorsports
11-13-2002, 03:44 PM
If you go the stud route on the heads, you should drop me a line first.

91BLOWNSC
11-13-2002, 08:28 PM
The thing is, I am just not sure if I can justify spending and extra whatever amount for the studs. Though I would like to, I would rather port my manifolds our something. I am not sure exactly how long I will have this car before I get another SC so thats why I am debating. And If I get just the head bolts from fords. What would be the chances of them going again? Probably not a lot right? And XR7 Dave, I am one for wanting all orignial parts back on my car unless I know they exceed fords quality, so would I have any worrys about the Head Bolts from autozone. I tend to beleive the more you pay the more you get. So 15-30 dollars to me says that I am asking for trouble. I don't think I will modify my car with anything other than what i have. I have the 10% OD pulley but my exhaust is opened up.

SC Ward
11-14-2002, 12:39 PM
If you're not keeping the car for another 100k mi,
and you're not building a full-on race motor,
there's no need to invest in the studs, IMHO.

If you can get the TRW head bolt set from A-Z or NAPA,
It's prolly fine; TRW is a big OEM supplier, prolly
makes the bolts for Ford Essex plant in the first place.
If you buy it from Ford, it might still say TRW on the package.

Just be sure to get the gasket surfaces very clean
and flat; maybe have the heads decked .005 or .010,
and follow the torque sequence carefully.

Also, get your radiator rodded-out or re-cored,
while its out, and a new water pump and hoses,
and plan on flushing the cooling system twice a year.
This is all good insurance against a secondary HG failure.
Just IMHO, of course.