PDA

View Full Version : Drag Brakes vs Street Brakes

SCrazy
10-30-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm looking at rear brake kits for my rear end swap and I'm finding two types of kits that are VERY similar with the basic difference being the rotor thickness.

The Drag kits have single plate rotors that are about 1/2" thick....they are solid in the middle and are not vented although you can get the cross drilled.

The second type of kit has vented rotors that are basically two plates with vents in between the plates similar to stock rotors and are about 1" thick.

I've seen some vague references to weight of the car determining if the thicker rotor needs to be used but I've not seen a hard guideline.

Keep in mind this car is really drag only at this point.

Any suggestions

Edit: Brakes

TbirdSCFan
10-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Arrg....

BRAKES.. BRAKES!!! :rolleyes:

BLOWN38
10-30-2013, 04:35 PM
I think the weight breaks are usually around 3000 lbs. But then again it is for the rear of the car. I would definatly go with the heavy duty ones up front and you can prolly get away with the lighter ones out back.

Kevin Leitem
10-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Go with the drag brakes. They are a 4 piston caliper and will have all the clamping force you will ever need. The 2 piston drag brake kits are for lighter cars. The vented street brakes are good for repeated braking. No need for the extra rotating weight

SCrazy
10-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Sounds about right....I saw somebody recommend 2800 lbs on another forum.

I sent Willwood a message to see what they have to say.

The heavier rotor is about 5lbs heavier than the drag rotor so we are not talking about a ton of weight here but every pound counts I guess.

KMT
10-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Don't forget the stainless/braided hoses...

racecougar
10-30-2013, 06:57 PM
The heavier rotor is about 5lbs heavier than the drag rotor so we are not talking about a ton of weight here but every pound counts I guess.

It's rotating weight though. While it isn't much weight or all that far from the axleshaft centerline, it's more important than regular old static, sprung weight.

HwyStar
10-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Went to a tire on the front of my Rabbit that was 2# less than the last tires that were on the front. The front only...and it was worth 3mpg. Anything you can cut off wheels have big pay off. Nickleman has some wheels seem like their made out of Helium. Ask him how much its worth.

SCrazy
10-31-2013, 03:19 PM
OK....I've decided I'm definitely going with drag style brakes.

One additional thing that this decision impacts is that I will no longer have a parking brake. The car is an automatic so I don't see it as being an issue like it would be if the car was a 5-speed car.

KMT
10-31-2013, 03:32 PM
One additional thing that this decision impacts is that I will no longer have a parking brake.

Are you planning on line locks?

MadMikeyL
10-31-2013, 03:46 PM
I know you said it is primarily a drag car, but if you want to register it at all and need to pass inspection, the lack of a parking brake could present a problem.

HwyStar
10-31-2013, 04:06 PM
I dont recall tech looking for a park break. Best thing to do to be sure is call local track and check the rules for which ever class you want to do.

SCrazy
10-31-2013, 04:12 PM

Yes...I have line locks

XR7 Phillip
10-31-2013, 05:19 PM
Ebrake... lol :rolleyes:

I took mine out and shaved 8lbs. It never worked anyway. You get used to never leaving your car running while you're not in it.

Phil

racecougar
10-31-2013, 05:36 PM

Line locks aren't designed to be left "on" for any substantial length of time.

KMT
10-31-2013, 05:53 PM
Line locks aren't designed to be left "on" for any substantial length of time.

And drag-only cars aren't expected to put substantial demands on a parking brake :)

The point is, if the OP needs them to help in a pinch, until they can block the wheels, whatever, they add that much more help in addition to just putting it in Park. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on them for anything else.

SCrazy
10-31-2013, 06:57 PM
I certainly wouldn't attempt to use the line locks as a parking break, those little solenoid coils would never last.

I'm not concerned at all about deleting the parking brake I was just stating that is was a side effect of selecting the drag style brake kit.

There is no way I would consider the parking brake for use as a manual "emergency brake" those things would take forever to stop the car if it was at speed.

KMT
10-31-2013, 07:09 PM
I think you'll be fine w/chocks and PARK :) Not sure how the track will feel, tho...

Kevin Leitem
10-31-2013, 07:16 PM
there is no need for a parking brake at the track. there is no requirement.

Mike8675309
11-01-2013, 02:01 PM
there is no need for a parking brake at the track. there is no requirement.

I agree. Even in some of the Real Street events I've seen where the car must be street legal and able to drive a laid out course on a street there has been no requirement for a parking brake.