Aod

RAC91SC

My wife has a 1990 mustang 2.3 with an AOD. it stopped shifting into OD bout three weeks ago.,,... It was suggested that I change the modulator valve... changed that and now it is now shifting itself nor shifting past 2nd gear....any ideas?

Your AOD is DOA! If the TV cable comes disconnected, the trans will not downshift on its own, but it wouldn't immediately prevent it from shifting into 3rd or 4th. By the time you start losing gears, the clutches and band are toast and a rebuild is needed.

hmmm... well... I have a modulator valve for it... I show one for it.... and found the part I got on the Transmission... the old part that I replaced last night is a vac. operated part. when I took it out the vac. line had a large amount of trans fluid in it.

also, When checking all of the cables everything was connected and seemed to be operating properly.

Ok, another addition .... what I got that Oreily auto parts calls a modulator valve is listed by ford as the vacuum throttle valve. I work in parts at a ford dealership and had checked the catalog.. so I knew something was there

hmmm... well... I have a modulator valve for it... I show one for it.... and found the part I got on the Transmission... the old part that I replaced last night is a vac. operated part. when I took it out the vac. line had a large amount of trans fluid in it.

It doesn't sound like you have an AOD, and since you also don't have an SC, I suspect you risk confusion asking here, sorry.

actually you are right... it is probably the a4ld ... i do have an sc tho and really hope its tranny doesnt take this kind of turn haha. ok now that my stupidity is clear... any ideas with the a4ld?

a4ld does have a modulator. Once it has lost gears I would assume it's cooked, you can try adjusting the bands but that is a band aid at best.
Alan

I understand that ... but at the same time... I had drive and it was shifting itself until I changed the valve... i pulled in the garage with drive, backed out of the garage with out drive.

I had issues with my 90 AOD. Shifting would go into OD then it wouldn't. I changed VB and that didn't fix the problem but it was better. Then I took it to a shop and had them adjust the TV cable. Now there are no issues. Tranny shifts fine and OD always works.

It was my thought and others that I needed a new tranny but that was not the case. 10k plus miles, on the highway everyday and no issues!:D

if it has a modulator it shouldnt have a tv cable correct??

I recommend yanking it out, its inevitable

A4LD in a SC? Ive never seen that. Could you take pictures? A4LD is Explorer/Ranger/Aerostar trans. ~~~ too. You can build it to hold up. But, takes a lot of work(money) to get there. Has lots of weak points.

If you lost drive after changing the modulator are you sure you got the rod back in it? There is a rod (pin) that goes in the modulator it does not come with a new one.
A4LD have a kickdown cable that causes passing gear, AOD have a tv cable that controls everything and is way more sensitive.
Alan

Back