MPII vs MPX for my SC?

superdadsc

Looking at two different blowers. MPII and MPX. MPII is polished and is brand new. Engine is brand new with big valve heads and a cam. This will be a street driven car rarely going to the track. The engine will be 15% OD. Car has a fmic, 58lbs injectors, QH etc.

Blower will get coated rotors from magnum powers.

Any opinions welcome

Last edited:
It's all about price in my opinion and how much you want to spend. I made almost just as much power with an mpII as I did with a mpx. Throw in some of those new coated rotors that magnum powers makes in an mpII, and it will make some power for sure.

Chris

I've never had or driven an MPX car, but I have an MP2 on my 90 and it is a remarkable improvement over either the stock blower or a ported 94/95 blower that I had on a previous SC. I also installed a set of 94/95 coated rotors in mine. I am also running 15% OD, and I have a Ken Wagner double intercooler. As others have said, it depends on price, and if they are the same price, go for the MPX, but if the MP2 is much cheaper, and if you aren't looking to be one of the fastest SCs out there, then I think you will be happy with the MP2.

I have run both.

The MP2 was a lot of fun in the car and seemed to have more then enough power, but it took several weeks of tuning and several phone calls to DD to get it that way.

The MPX is in there now and has more potential, but the internals of the engine needed to make the MPX reach that potential is beyond the amount of $ that can be committed to the project at this time.

The MPX has boost much quicker and power up top that the MP2 didn't have, but the MP2 was a ball to drive with pretty much stock internals.

For fun from light to light I would take the MP2, but for top end and sit you back in the seat the MPX is the choice.

IMO

How often do you plan to pull at the top of the RPM range? The MPX makes great power up top.

I'd say for a street car that's fun from light to light and getting up to speed on the highway the MP2 is a great choice if the price is right. If they are within $200 I'd go MPX.

For me I don't plan to race my car much, maybe a couple times a year. It will be driven in nice weather and although I may go chase down a Mustang here or there mainly mine will be kept under 80 mph and driven around in the lower part of the RPM range so I think for now, an MP inlet on a ported late model will be fine for me. I'm always keeping my eye open for a deal on MPX though so maybe around tax time we'll see if I can pick one up for a good deal but for now I'm not in the market.

Did you get the car from Indiana back home yet?

Thanks for the reply's. I will be going with the MPII.:D

Scott I should be out there to pick it up in a couple weeks. I am busy with work closing on some property so I am dealing with a bunch of stuff. Would like to meet up and take you out to lunch or dinner depending on the time frame if we could work that out it would be cool!

I will be out there and will be brining the car to Dave Dalke to tune it. So I need to get the schedule worked out. Then driving it back to GA.

Back