PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain

kpatton
11-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Like many of you, I'll be needing to fix the timing cover that is leaking coolant. sigh!!... I figured while in, I'll refresh the timing set. I read earlier threads that there is tensioner. I've been looking thru melling's catalog, and they list the tensioner for 5/89 up.. I purchased mine in mar'89 so I had mine in hands well before 5/89. Does anyone know if I have a tensioner or is it different?

S_Mazza
11-05-2013, 01:30 PM
All 89+ blocks, FWD or RWD, have roller cams and a timing chain tensioner. I think it should work fine for you. I have never seen an SC without a tensioner.

jjklongisland
11-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Like many of you, I'll be needing to fix the timing cover that is leaking coolant. sigh!!... I figured while in, I'll refresh the timing set. I read earlier threads that there is tensioner. I've been looking thru melling's catalog, and they list the tensioner for 5/89 up.. I purchased mine in mar'89 so I had mine in hands well before 5/89. Does anyone know if I have a tensioner or is it different?

So I guess you are doing the job yourself. When are you planning on tackling the project?

kpatton
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm probably a few months out.. may do it over Christmas break if I find some time, I like to have all my parts on hand. I hate to stop and wait for parts, especially with this car, as usually its a special order for anything.

And yes, I'll do it myself my water pump has some miles so I was waiting to do both at same time, timing chain is no biggie, once you basically remove everthing on the front of the motor. :)

jjklongisland
11-05-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm probably a few months out.. may do it over Christmas break if I find some time, I like to have all my parts on hand. I hate to stop and wait for parts, especially with this car, as usually its a special order for anything.

And yes, I'll do it myself my water pump has some miles so I was waiting to do both at same time, timing chain is no biggie, once you basically remove everthing on the front of the motor. :)

What water pump are you going with?

kpatton
11-05-2013, 05:56 PM
I have a factory ford one..

mywhite89
11-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Just remember there is a hidden Allen or torques head bolt that holds the cover to the block. It's one of the bottom bolts, should help you out when you're in the process. Might be a good time to replace your harmonic balancer with a Bhj if you never have.

Chris