CA Smog

Giro

so its time for me to smog my 91 sc, and I am wondering if anyone else has had any issues with failing the visual portion due to the the scp headers. I had it fail once already because of this, and im curious because the previous owner smogged it before I purchased it and he said it passed, and handed me the certificate. the sniffer portion passed, and didn't have any issues, just the visual with the headers. any advice if there is a sc friendly smog place in the bay area? or do I have to put the stock manifolds back on? (which wont bolt up to my aftermarket exhaust).

California's visual smog test requirement is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever come across. "Oh, your car passed the tailpipe sniffer, but it looks different than the picture in my book? Here's your dosage of fail."

Sorry I can't help. I can only add this:

makenosense_zpsf07b11e0.jpg

California's visual smog test requirement is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever come across. "Oh, your car passed the tailpipe sniffer, but it looks different than the picture in my book? Here's your dosage of fail."

Sorry I can't help. I can only add this:

makenosense_zpsf07b11e0.jpg

The SMOG visual test is purely about tax revenue masquerading as a safety/environmental measure -- just like the "handgun safety list" limits what kinds of handguns can be sold/imported into CA.

It costs money to get the CARB number and the mfgs must pay for the testing and the paperwork to get a number issued. Ditto with handguns. It's not cheap (thousands, not hundreds) which is why not all companies bother to get all of their products 50-state legal (aka 49 states + CA).

PS. While the sign taken out of context sounds retarded, is to notify people that dumping their trash into a dumpster that they don't own is illegal. I'm willing to bet that most cities have laws to this effect.

Visual smog test requirement? I didnt even know they did that here. I have headers and aftermarket cats and they didnt give me a hard time at the dmv. Also how would half the mustang owners in CA pass? all the mustangs i know that friends have all have headers and aftermarket exhaust and they all pass unless they have someone helping them out when it comes time to smog.

Ive heard California is beautiful from a lot of people. They can keep it. I like my hobby and freedom more. Leave California! You can have all the fun you want in Va., or Tx. Move to Va and we can be neighbors!! Arent enough SCs out here...

I think it needs to look somewhat factory or have the a.r.b. number. You might sneak in mustang factory headers but if they're chrome or painted or wrapped they'll start looking for details. A couple yrs ago my stock 92 failed because i had weak cats..fair enough. i had cats put in and the smog guy said it was not the exact factory replacement number. my muffler guy had to call and school him on generic compliant replacement numbers. I didn't want to deal with that guy anymore so I took it to a test only station and passed no problem. I shoot for test only stations..even though they're pricier up front and they really don't want to see you come back for the free retest. Vs a test and repair (orStar) station that needs to up sell tune ups and repairs. Also smog guys get stung. The bureau of auto repair does quality control and sends people with issues on their car in...if the pass the the smog tech/station gets a warning or worse for their 1st offense...so don't put out an under cover cop vibe:D

also you may not be aware

removing the spout plug will lock out timing to 10 degrees, this will reduce emissions significantly, wont do anything for a visual but for the actual e-test it will help out significantly

here in good ole new orleans we needn't worry about such ruckus

Maybe ill try a test only spot, see if they overlook the headers. I'm thinking of maybe dirtying up the headers so they look old and stock.

Back