Code 82

OLDF

NEED SOME HELP WITH A CODE 82 ON MY 89 SC. THE SCANNER TELLS ME THAT IT IS A THERMACTOR DIVERTOR, BUT MY ALL DATA TELLS ME IT IS THE SUPERCHARGER BYPASS SELINOID, WHICH I CHECKED AND IS NO GOOD, THE SELINOID IS OBSELETE FROM FORD. IF ANYONE HAS RUN INTO THIS PLEACE LET ME KNOW. ALSO WHAT THE %$#@ IS THERMACTOR DIVERTOR.

you are right code 82 supercharger bypass.you can get one from magnusonproducts.com that thermactor is emission controls

STILL CODE 82

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE BYPASS VALVE, BUT I ALSO NEED TO FIND THE VACUME SELINOID THAT CONTROLS THE VALVE THIS PART #E9SE-9H465-AA AND IS ALSO DISCONTUED FROM FORD AND I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND ONE AT ANY DEALER . SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know there was a selinoid for that. mine has one vacum line that goes from the valve to the intake and nothing else.
where is it on the car ?

Last edited:
vacume selinoid

the vacume line goes from the valve to the selinoid on the left strut tower near the clutch resevoir then to manifold vacume at a T near the back of the manifold near the firewall.

Anyone have experience fixing this code? I have the same code showing. Do I need to replace the valve itself or the solinoid. I think I see the one you are talking about by the clutch resevoir.

The solenoid is just for the EEC to control when to allow the By-pass to fully close by dumping the Vacuum to Vacuum motor at the bypass.. And i think all '89's have it..

I'm thinking either the circuit (wiring) is no good, or the solenoid itself
one can get Switching Vacuum Valves reasonably easy, i just wonder if the Values would be the same in the Wiring (coil) side thou..

couldnt he run the vacuum line to the intake like all later ones have??

just eliminate the solenoid altogether.

But the code will still come up thou..

I know VW uses a Vacuum switch that may work, but i do not know if the resistance will be right or not..

I do still have vacuum at what appears normal levels according to the gauge. Could this just be a faulty code? I used a checker scanner, which I cleared b4 using on my car, but should I use my uncle's more expensive scanner to make sure?

Back