Wiring harness question

jludorf

I recently picked up a 1989 5 speed car and it came with a 2 harnesses. One is a 5l harness and a second harness is suppose to be for this car. Only one harness has a number in it it is e9sb 12a581 bt. As this is an 89 number I assume it is correct but could someone confirm for me?

The dash from this car is cracked and I have one from another car that is good. Both cars are 89 5 speeds will I have any issues or should I swap the harnessed from the original dash to the new dash?

Thanks for any help anyone can shed.

I have swapped dashes out before with no prob. The nice thing about our cars is u can swapp the pods individually if u unscrew the clear plastic covor. They just pull out. If ur is cracked and the gauges work fine i would just change the cover. Now the wireing
harness. As long as everything plugs in go with it.

KW90Supercoupe - I think the OP was talking about the dash pad, not the instrument cluster ...

JLudorf - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the odds are good you'll also have to swap the wiring harness - some harnesses are specific-year-model ones (for instance, my 1991 Cougar XR7? Depended on the options, but was specific to a 1991 Cougar XR7 for the most part ... )

I'd plan on swapping the harnesses.

Also, be VERY careful - I had a perfect dash I was swapping, it slipped - and now I have one split in it ( :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: )

To cover it, i'm ordering the dash pad after I finish putting the seats back in ...

RwP

The 5.0 harness is completely different and it will have an F1 number on it so you are safe there. As for the dash - since they are the same year and both 5spds you will not have issues. No need to swap the harness.

David,

I was thinking the same. The one harness was taken apart and does not have any numbers if it had f1 or f2 I would have felt better.

Previous owner told me that the harness that was taken apart was the sc harness but I think he must be mistaken as I am pretty confident the 5 l harness would start f1

Back