PDA

View Full Version : Wiring harness question

jludorf
11-10-2013, 03:13 AM
I recently picked up a 1989 5 speed car and it came with a 2 harnesses. One is a 5l harness and a second harness is suppose to be for this car. Only one harness has a number in it it is e9sb 12a581 bt. As this is an 89 number I assume it is correct but could someone confirm for me?

The dash from this car is cracked and I have one from another car that is good. Both cars are 89 5 speeds will I have any issues or should I swap the harnessed from the original dash to the new dash?

Thanks for any help anyone can shed.

kw90supercoupe
11-10-2013, 03:38 AM
I have swapped dashes out before with no prob. The nice thing about our cars is u can swapp the pods individually if u unscrew the clear plastic covor. They just pull out. If ur is cracked and the gauges work fine i would just change the cover. Now the wireing
harness. As long as everything plugs in go with it.

RalphP
11-10-2013, 12:25 PM
KW90Supercoupe - I think the OP was talking about the dash pad, not the instrument cluster ...

JLudorf - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the odds are good you'll also have to swap the wiring harness - some harnesses are specific-year-model ones (for instance, my 1991 Cougar XR7? Depended on the options, but was specific to a 1991 Cougar XR7 for the most part ... )

I'd plan on swapping the harnesses.

Also, be VERY careful - I had a perfect dash I was swapping, it slipped - and now I have one split in it ( :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: )

To cover it, i'm ordering the dash pad after I finish putting the seats back in ...

RwP

XR7 Dave
11-10-2013, 12:55 PM
The 5.0 harness is completely different and it will have an F1 number on it so you are safe there. As for the dash - since they are the same year and both 5spds you will not have issues. No need to swap the harness.

jludorf
11-10-2013, 02:18 PM
David,

I was thinking the same. The one harness was taken apart and does not have any numbers if it had f1 or f2 I would have felt better.

Previous owner told me that the harness that was taken apart was the sc harness but I think he must be mistaken as I am pretty confident the 5 l harness would start f1