Bad Overdrive Belt in just purchased 92 SC

Garys SC

Greetings SCCoA members! A newbie member here....

Used to have a 1989 SC about 10 years ago and LOVED IT! (as a matter of fact, my first Ford, and my favorite of all my "sporty" rides) I had to sell it after my wife & I both lost our jobs.

Now, 10 years later, I'm back on my feet and for my 55th birthday, I searched all over the nation for an SC the same color inside and out as my original SC (silver Titanium). I had it shipped to me, but the AOD transmission will not shift into OVERDRIVE. Apparently the belt is damaged or broken. Local transmission shop (big nationally recognizable name) quoted me $1800 to rebuild.

MY QUESTION: Any suggestions for an aftermarket transmission (i.e. Summit, Hughes, B&M, TCI, etc.) that is built for performance and strengthens the overdrive belt (maybe from Kevlar?) or should I just go back stock with upgraded parts?? ANY SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I would suggest getting rid of the aod for either an M5R2 5-speed, or a 4R70W with an aftermarket controller. If you must keep the aod, have someone local who knows what they are doing rebuild and install it. I see you live in Charlotte NC, so I would suggest contacting RobertP from the TCCoA forums. He knows tbirds inside and out, and builds transmissions, and he is not that far from you.

Also check the TV cable. Mine would then it wouldn't shift into OD. I thought I had it tight but I checked the wrong cable.:eek: I was reading a post when it dawned on me that I looked at the wrong one. Tightened the TV cable and it shifts into OD everyday(as I drive 30minutes on highway to atlanta) I have had no issues at all!:D

Back