Stereo help

rp27g8

I picked up a 90 SC 30th anniversary three weeks ago. The factory radio (premium sound) doesn't work right so I want to put a new stereo in it. I got the old one out but can't get the new one to work. I have power but no sound. Any idea what special adapters I need? I don't believe it has JBL but I'm not sure and don't know how to verify. Any help will be appreciated!

Any idea what special adapters I need? I don't believe it has JBL but I'm not sure and don't know how to verify.

Check the door cups to see they say Premium or JBL and/or look in the tray inside the trunk, under the rear package shelf to see if there is a subwoofer and amp.

Scosche makes an adapter/harness to bridge the circuits back there so you can install an aftermarket head unit and still use the factory speaker circuits.

See http://www.35thatr.org/Radio/RadioRelatedPages.htm for details.

Did the radio have two connectors the same shape and size on the back, or one long rectangular one and one almost-square one?

If the former, it's standard wiring, and the generic kit should work.

If it's the latter, it's premium sound and/or JBL, and will take some fiddling to get the 12V turn on to the current amp (not recommended!) or need the amp bypass harness to get the amp bypassed in the package tray in the back (better!), or ideally you'll run new wiring to support the higher output of the new head unit (best!).

RwP

Back