PDA

View Full Version : 92 thunderbird sc stutter under boost

Nsk1993
11-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey guys I have a 92 thunderbird sc thats recently developed a stutter as I roll back onto the throttle after a turn or even if I jump on it. The stutter is just like a quick loss of power that comes right back. Usually once it clears up it runs great up through the rpms. I have a pully k&n filters and fresh exaust. No ecu tune since the aftermarket stuff tho. Could that be my problem? Thanks in advance! Nick

Plat0ribs
11-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I've experienced what I think may be similar behavior. Seems like it occurs (on my car) after the car has warmed up, operating in open loop versus closed loop.

It seems to manifest in my car (also a 92 5-speed) when in a higher gear like 3rd rolling along with RPM's relatively low, less than 2K. Again after its warmed up, I'll roll on the throttle and it will buck like a missfire. I'll get out of the throttle and reapply and its fine.

This has been happening since the day I bought the car 3+ years ago. I have done a number of things to the car over this time including head gaskets, new plugs and wires, different EEC, IRCM, lots of parts changed but this issue persists.

If you do somehow get a handle on this and it seems to you like what you're experiencing is similar to what I'm experiencing, definately share what you discover.

Best luck in disgnosing this.

Chris;)

figulaz
11-14-2013, 12:18 PM
you're in the right place. There are some seasoned vets here (i'm not one of them). I'd probably let people know what size pulley 5% or 10%, standard trans or automatic... a few usual suspects....any check engine light codes? vacuum leaks? bypass-valve operating correctly..sparkplug wires on securely and in right order? any other known upgrades beyond the pulley and exhaust?

11-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Sounfs like it goes lean when you stomp the vertical pedal. have you cleaned the maf? Does it throw any codes.

scskydivin
11-15-2013, 12:53 AM
It could be a weak torque converter, or something amiss in the tranny. I have this exact problem. Been driving it like this for two years. I should fix it but the funds just haven't been there. That may not be your problem, but it's something to consider.

Nsk1993
11-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Mines a 5 speed with a 10% pulley. Chris it sounds as if we have almost exactly the same problem. Mines does it cold occasionally but most the time is when its hot. Iv changed fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, coil pack, put dielectric grease in every wire plug I could, checked for vac leaks and all seems good. When I hook the scan tool to it I get a code that tells me the octane pin adjuster is in use.(does anyone even know where this is or what it does?) I have always run 93 or better fuel and have started adding octane boost to every fill up. 722 ill clean the maf today. But I have no codes other than the octane pin adjuster