Auto trans lines

rp27g8

I recently bought a 90 35th anniversary SC and now the trans lines are leaking. They are leaking from the rubber line up in the front. What is the best fix for them? Is it even possible to buy them new? It is obvious where the leak is coming from. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

My Anny had the same issue.

I replaced them with new Gates fabric reinforced hose sections that are resistant to ATF, then double clamped at all four connections on both lines.

No leaks in over a year now.

Be careful to not score or scratch up the metal lines up, etc. before installing new hose sections.

Make sure to use transmission grade hose, fuel hose will turn to mush. The best hose clamps come from the hardware store the parts store ones are junk.
Alan

I just did a truck this week.

Around here this is something that happens all the time. I get steel lines and rebuild the WHOLE system. You can bet your bottom dollor that if one line is sofe the rest are right behind it. The F350 I just did cost me around $30 to do with all the lines and fittings. Sure you might have to do a flare fitting or two, but with a GOOD tool you can get the job done in a few hours. Even on your back in the driveway it is something that any one should be able to do.....Rich

I used Dorman 55172 fuel line clamps.
55172-007.JPG

http://rbinc.com/p-10039-55172.aspx

Fuel line clamps are ok good hose clamps are getting harder and harder to find, junk has consumed the market. The ones I buy from home depot are twice as wide as the parts store ones.
As far as building all new lines I do it all the time. I like to change them to 3/8 including the radiator fittings and use aluminum tubing for better heat dissipation and rust prevention.
Alan

Fuel line clamps are ok good hose clamps are getting harder and harder to find, junk has consumed the market.

True that - I can pull used/decades old screw type clamps from wrecks that work better than what are sold today. I've actually developed a fear of using regular new clamps now.

Lost art, I guess...

Thanks guys! Alan, do I have to change the fitting on the transmission or just the radiator to fit the 3/8" lines? I have a couple friends that can help me make new lines. Thanks again everyone!

Back