Stock exhaust mounts

SC34

Just put a clutch kit and slave in my '93, and in my infinite wisdom, decided that the exhaust bracket that mounts in with the trans mount was not necessary.. Boy was I wrong. Had the worst vibration around 1800 rpms you could imagine. I of course, knowing that what I left out was still gonna be fine, assumed the pressure plate or disc was out of balance. Was going to remove it all and return the "bad" parts(ended up only needing the disc), but thankfully I waited a few days and pondered it. Ended up slotting out the holes in the bracket that sandwiches in with the trans mount which make it a TON easier to install. And low and behold, vibration is now gone..Anyways, just figured I would post this in case someone else had a better idea like I had.. Happy wrenchn!

I've deleted those on every MN12 I have ever had since I was 17 years old, and I have never had it cause any vibrations or issues.

Did you note the clocking of the driveshaft each time it was removed? I understand they are balanced in place and can cause vibrations if not put back in the same orientation? Never had that myself, but started to pay attn. to it after reading here and other places about people fighting vibrations after trans/motor work involving removal of shaft.

Adam

I deleted that mount also with no vibrations. It's more likely that your other exhaust mounts aren't very good (and they were heavily relying on that one mount) or possibly your trans mount is kinda shot and your exhaust was helping to brace the trans.

I've also never clocked the driveshaft in different positions and noticed a vibration either.

Drive shaft went back the exact same as it was removed. All I can say, is it had a vibration pretty bad beteeen 1800-2000rpms. Reinstalled mount (after cutting trans bolt mount holes to allow it to slide in without removing bolts) and vibration is gone... guess my car is just "sensitive! "

You might have not got the trans mounted up just right. I did a clutch/flywheel/slave in my f150 and had no problems with vibration. The slave went out about 6 months later, I pulled it again and after that it had a slight vibration that only got worse with increase of rpm. I did mark the drive shaft, so it went on the same as it came off. I had a little trouble getting it to mate up when I was putting it back. I got it close enough so that all the bolts caught, but they were somewhat hard to screw in. I think it was just off enough and somewhat sideways that its spinning offset and causing the vibration. Even tho it tightens up and you can get the trans mount bolted up correctly, it still isn't in there "true".

The missing mount was the cause, if you all would read, I stated more than once that replacing it cured the vibration totally. Just figured I would post this if anyone else ever had this issue.

The missing mount was the cause, if you all would read, I stated more than once that replacing it cured the vibration totally. Just figured I would post this if anyone else ever had this issue.

I did read your entire post, I was just making a suggestion that maybe you do have an undelying issue and you just band-aided the problem instead of fixing it.

I did read your entire post, I was just making a suggestion that maybe you do have an undelying issue and you just band-aided the problem instead of fixing it.

I don't see that by putting a factory exhaust mount back in is a band-aid.. if this had been a trans swap situation I could see your point of view where it could be possible...but even then, unlikely if using all stock parts.

Back