PDA

View Full Version : Removing EVO line from power steering pump

potshotscott
11-19-2013, 03:14 AM
Quick question - I've almost got my power steering pump out of the car but I can't get the hydraulic line out of the EVO on the side. Can anyone tell me what size wrench this is? I thought it was 11/16 or maybe 3/4 but I can't get my wrenches on there.

Perhaps one of you has a small trick to getting this line off? It's one of the last things I need to remove to get the pump out.

Wzenheimer
11-19-2013, 07:26 AM
I can't remember what size it is but I've used a large adjustable end wrench with success. Good luck.

92sclikenew
11-19-2013, 09:13 AM
I can't remember what size it is but I've used a large adjustable end wrench with success. Good luck.

Yea depends what part your trying to take apart. The hard line is smaller like 3/4 but the evo it's self is like 22mm(not sure) I used a pair of channel locks to remove the evo. It's a tight working space and hard to do but mine wasn't that tight, I've removed mine at the evo/pump not the line off the evo.

RalphP
11-19-2013, 11:03 AM
The smaller connector is 18mm, just like the rack end of the hose.

RwP

potshotscott
11-19-2013, 11:47 AM
18MM - perfect, thanks! I think I'm going to remove or loosen the mount as I just don't have enough room to get on the connector.

I appreciate the help guys.

potshotscott
11-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Just a quick follow-up for anyone who might search this in the future. It was indeed 18mm. The best way I found to pull the power steering pump is as follows:

Remove serpentine belt
Remove top intercooler tube
Remove PS pulley
Remove PS bracket and 3 bolts holding the pump in
Remove the large bracket holding the alternator and dis module
Pull the PS pump out enough to remove the EVO plug and hose
Remove the clamp and hose from the bottom and pull power steering pump

To install reverse this order. I was able to use the $10.00 power steering gasket kit from Autozone to fix a sizeable leak on my pump. Now all is well! New transmission, pump fixed - it's time to get her out on the road!!! Now if the rain in Oregon would only go away.