PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Remote

jjklongisland
11-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Can I add a factory keyless remote to open my doors to my 89 SC? When I bought the car I was only given keys but no remote. I do not know if my car even had the remote as part of the original sale. It does have the keypad on the door. If I buy a factory remote can I program it to unlock my doors and open my trunk?

KMT
11-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Seen this thread?
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102760&highlight=keyless+remote

My '90 Anny had a Viper alarm system when I got it, but I had to pay a shop to add the trunk release so I could pop it from the remote. I've since added a gas lift and replaced the lock cylinder with a camera. I don't even carry a trunk key...

And just a head's up - when using the accy button on my remote, I have to press and hold for a few seconds before the solenoid shunts - seems this is by design, perhaps to prohibit casual button pushes from engaging unintended release.

jjklongisland
11-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Just read it. How can I tell if my car actually came with a key fob remote? Was that an option in 89?

KMT
11-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Just read it. How can I tell if my car actually came with a key fob remote? Was that an option in 89?

Not sure, but I don't think so.

Does you car have an aftermarket alarm?

S_Mazza
11-20-2013, 05:57 PM

It may have been a dealer-only option. I don't think a key fob was a factory option until the mid-90s.

jjklongisland
11-20-2013, 07:31 PM
It may have been a dealer-only option. I don't think a key fob was a factory option until the mid-90s.

Thats what I was trying to figure out...

No alarms KMT. I might get one so it can do the locks...

RalphP
11-21-2013, 06:09 AM
Wireless remote entry wasn't available factory until 1993.

There's a guy here (and on TCCoA) who makes an adapter harness so you can pull the keyless entry module out of a 93+ MN12 and use it on a 89-92 MN12 to gain wireless entry.

RwP

superdadsc
11-21-2013, 08:21 AM
Who would that be? Avatar name? Would be a cool upgrade.:D

SuperChicken89
11-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Correct.... Not a factory option until the early 90's. My 89 SC has the dealer installed keyless entry which was manufactured by Code Alarm for Ford. Has a Ford logo on the unit but Ford couldn't tell me anything about the unit. Through research I was able to find out Code Alarm was the OEM.

Bryan

jjklongisland
11-21-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

S_Mazza
11-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Correct.... Not a factory option until the early 90's. My 89 SC has the dealer installed keyless entry which was manufactured by Code Alarm for Ford. Has a Ford logo on the unit but Ford couldn't tell me anything about the unit. Through research I was able to find out Code Alarm was the OEM.

Bryan

Oh yeah - you just reminded me that my old 1990 (white, totalled years ago) had the dealer-installed Code Alarm system. I never got a remote with it, so I didn't know until I found the receiver in the driver's kick panel. Then I bought a replacement remote and it worked fine (until the car was smashed up).

S4gunn
11-21-2013, 05:24 PM
I think I have an OEM Remote Keyless Entry Module (#F39F-15K602-AC) I pulled out of one of the 93 tbirds I parted out if you want to mess with trying to adapt it to your vehicle (no remotes though) to keep it 100% stock.

OTOH, basic aftermarket keyless entry systems can be had for <$30. I've installed one myself a few times but IMO, it's more of a hassle than it's worth to DIY it yourself (contorting yourself upside down to access the wires underneath the dash isn't terribly fun.)

Even out here in expensive Bay Area, CA I found a shop willing to install it in <1 hr for $75. Totally worth it. I'm willing to bet the labor rate is similar for stereo/alarm shop in your area.

-g

jjklongisland
11-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I think I have an OEM Remote Keyless Entry Module (#F39F-15K602-AC) I pulled out of one of the 93 tbirds I parted out if you want to mess with trying to adapt it to your vehicle (no remotes though) to keep it 100% stock.

OTOH, basic aftermarket keyless entry systems can be had for <$30. I've installed one myself a few times but IMO, it's more of a hassle than it's worth to DIY it yourself (contorting yourself upside down to access the wires underneath the dash isn't terribly fun.)

Even out here in expensive Bay Area, CA I found a shop willing to install it in <1 hr for $75. Totally worth it. I'm willing to bet the labor rate is similar for stereo/alarm shop in your area.

-g

Yeah, I am going to probably ask for a new alarm system from Santa for Christmas... I should unlock the doors or I will pay extra for them to figure it out...

90turbo1
11-26-2013, 01:30 PM
i purchased a alarm keyless entry module from a taurus, and adapter harness. It works great on my 1992. only thing I lost the sticker for the door pad and now that doesnt work.. So might have to go get another module some day to make it all work.