snow methanol kit question

bumpskier45

I did some research on these units and they seem like good alternative to either A getting a 1400 dollar intercooler from mp,or a double intercooler etc,and more efficient. I was wondering if anyone runs them on there car and what kind of results have been received? hard to install? etc.

Easy to install. I see about 40* reduction in ACT. Get to run a race gas tune on the meth kit and the best thing is you only use it when you put your foot in it.

so the nozzle for this thing installs on the cold air intake pipe correct? so is my tune that I have on the chip going to work or do you pretty much need to get a quarter horse and download a tune because I know you can be more aggressive with the timing when you run it.

Best place to put the nozzle or nozzles is in the return plenum, and then you need an anti siphon solenoid or it suck fluid when under vac. You will need a custom tune done to take advantage of the alky kit.

I'm going this route myself! My acts are out of control and my logs show 13° timing at about the 1/8th mile! I'm thinking snow and dic will be more than enough and I Won t have to worryabout engine cooling from bblocking the radiator with a big fmic

So getting a quaterhorse would allow me not to have to take my chip out and send it to dave every time I get something new,I have had to do that a couple times already,I wish I could make up my mind.

Things you need

Quarter horse
Binary editor
Deff files (Dalke had these)
Innovative lc1
Wideband gauge

This way you can properly data log the car and Dave can email you tune revisions !
you can plug you're laptop in and writer the tune to the car no more pulling the chip

so the nozzle for this thing installs on the cold air intake pipe correct?

Snow says this about that in their FAQ:
#7. Where can I mount the nozzle?

Pre- or Post- Supercharger/Turbocharger?

• Positive Displacement Supercharger: Roots style (B&M, Eaton, Magnuson, etc.) or twin screw (Lysholm, Kenne Bell, Whipple, etc.) Mounting the nozzle before this style of blower is perfectly safe and actually provides some additional benefits. The small amount of water-methanol fluid isn’t harmful to any rotor seals or surfaces or coatings, and it helps to seal the clearances and condense the air some more, resulting in a more efficient output. Additionally, it keeps the rotors and housing MUCH cooler, which reduces heat transfer to the rest of the intake and air charge.

Snow says this about that in their FAQ:

This makes sense... But why does everyone place the nozzle(s) in the return plenum AFTER the iC then? Since i will be running a dual nozzle system what about one Before the blower and one after? Best of both worlds?

This makes sense... But why does everyone place the nozzle(s) in the return plenum AFTER the iC then? Since i will be running a dual nozzle system what about one Before the blower and one after? Best of both worlds?

I think the original idea to tap into the lower IC tube at the IC was from several years ago, and it perhaps became the default for aggressive tuning? How often do you expect to change nozzles? Are you looking to push timing & boost or just to cool the charged air?

See:
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems....-Methanol-Injection-Nozzles/article_info.html "Positive Displacement Applications"

As usual, seems testing would be the best arbiter, tho :)

Last edited:
I'm running 10% od on an s port and my acts are causing it to pull trimming! (14psi or so boost) and I'd like to be able to run 23/24° with it set at 22° it would pulls out because of the acts and I end up at 13°

In that example, I'd think you'd want somewhere right before the sensor (IC return path) so you get max cooling to help send the charge air temp down as much as possible and help fight the timing being pulled. You may be able to exceed 10% as well :)

Why are you planning on dual nozzles? Staged doses or for double flow, or?

I wonder if all the extra stuff is necessary such as quaterhorse,tunes,etc,if your just cooling the air pre supercharger. After reading the article that is a more proficient place to put them vs anyplace on the intercooler lines.

The nozzles are located in the return plenum on these cars to reduce the opportunity for puddling and to net the largest possible drop in ACTs. This has been thoroughly hashed out on these cars. ;)

I have mine piped into the inlet piping before the blower

4.2 heads/cam/s-port/15% blower od crank pulley (no slippage)

All i get is 12lbs @ 120 degree ACTs 10gph single nozzle with 87 octane

I have the el chepo AIS kit with the meth controlled by the ecu

I wonder if all the extra stuff is necessary such as quaterhorse,tunes,etc,if your just cooling the air pre supercharger. After reading the article that is a more proficient place to put them vs anyplace on the intercooler lines.

Yes you have to tune for it. snow also changes the octane of the fuel and the higher the octane the more fuel that's needed. If the tune isn't changed you will go lean.

Mine seems to go rich with the boost cooler on with a 50/50 mix. My A/F dropped to 10.0 to 10.3 with it running on the dyno.

Dave mis-spoke. Alcohol injection with no other changes will cause the engine to run rich. If you have alcohol injection + a custom tune to correct the rich condition, then if the alcohol doesn't spray for some reason, the engine will go lean. This is the inherent risk of running an alcohol injection system of any kind. Believe me, on occasion it will happen. There are safety devices to reduce this risk.

On an application of less than 18psi, there is no HP gain to running an alcohol system. You can gain consistency through lower ACT's and reduced heat soak, but you will not make appreciably more power. In nearly all cases alcohol injection will result in reduced torque.

Injecting the alcohol prior to the supercharger on an SC is of minimal benefit and should be avoided. As Rod stated, this has been discussed at length in the past.

Back