exhaust and performance

superdadsc

I am driving my 89 home. The car has basically no exhaust. Mustang headers, 21/2down tubes, duel in duel out flowmaster 40 then it dumps right there.

Can this effect how it runs.

Car runs better the more I drive it.

Any thoughts

you need adequate exhaust length for proper delta pressure

Exhaust should run at least to the back tires before dumping

Lack of adequate delta pressure results in poor low end tq

Get some ear plugs. No point in causing yourself hearing damage. The engine won't care. Tune might be off quite a bit which is why it runs better the more you drive it.

I drove out to Indianapolis from Dayton last night to meet Stephen for dinner and see the car. I went and looked at it before he bought it and sent him some pics so he could see the car and have another set of eyes go over it. Its hard buying a car across the country sight unseen. I did that myself with the 94 in Kansas.

The car is very clean and in great shape. He surprised me when he started it up and how loud it was. I like a loud exhaust as much as the next guy, but the way this car was setup with the exhaust dumping under the middle of the car it was very loud even under the hood with the car sitting in a parking lot. I felt bad for him to have to drive back to Atlanta with the exhaust so loud and droning. I would definitely run pipes out the rear of the car first chance you get.

Hope you had a safe uneventful drive home Stephen. Well other than going deaf from the exhaust. :D

Thanks Scott! It was nice having dinner. Pulled in my driveway at 4am. I laid down and it reminded me of my youth when I went to clubs and when I got home my ears were ringing. It was so loud it was like torture. Stopped and bought ear plugs and they didn't help at all it was so loud! At the right spped and load of the engine it would shake the whole car. I thought the dashboard was going to fall off!:eek:

Dave I will be sending you an email. First I need to get some pipes on there and then a baseline dyno to help with tuning. I quess that is how it is done?

To early to rush to judgements. Ran better as she went down the road but low on power. Let see what happens when a exhaust is on the car.

She is pretty! Love the Titanium. Thought it was just a grey but it is a little darker and has a nice look. I usually would not pick a grey but the titanium with the tan leather looks sharp.

this is interesting, as when I got my sc running and driving I drove it around with the down tubes only, and it was great, idled smoothly, accelerated like it should. Then I installed the crappy 2 inch cobbled together (with a missplaced crosover pipe) and the car felt like it instantly lost 100 hp.

Was that 5th gear at 80 mph? I don't recall my 5 speed car with 3.27 gears running almost 3k @ 80 mph.
I agree. My 95 auto is about 2700 rpm at 80. My 90 5 speed when it last ran revs even less. I cant tell for sure because it has run since '99.

When I put the motor back in the 95 I drove it to the exhaust shop with shorties and downpipes. It was loud and rough. Much better with exhaust. Exhaust guy said I didn't even need the downpipes not to worry about burning an exhaust valve.

Might be better with good exhaust.

5th gear and dropped it to 4th

I just uploaded the video, just listened to it the mic didn't pic it up. If I hit a hill the car would shake so bad the dash sounded like it was going to vibrate off.

On the other hand off throttle going down hill gurgled and sounded really cool.:p

I will probably change the gears once everything settles down. Around town I kinda like them though. First is short but 2nd 3rd and 4th are ok, 5th sucks for highway driving!

I agree. My 95 auto is about 2700 rpm at 80. My 90 5 speed when it last ran revs even less. I cant tell for sure because it has run since '99.

When I put the motor back in the 95 I drove it to the exhaust shop with shorties and downpipes. It was loud and rough. Much better with exhaust. Exhaust guy said I didn't even need the downpipes not to worry about burning an exhaust valve.

Might be better with good exhaust.

I think the 95 would have had 3.08 gears. And the 1990 5-speed should have had 2.73 gears, though 90 autos would have had 3.27 gears.

Back