PDA

View Full Version : Tubular K-Member (Round 2)

fastsc92
11-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Well after a long time away from the SC scene...I've had the opportunity to gather some parts and dive back into it (for better or worse...)

I've been toying around with the idea to start up tubular k-member fabrication again. There are 4 units floating around out there to date and the design will be nearly the same as what was produced in the past.

For those that haven't followed the threads in the past, this k-member will be fully tubular construction and utilizes all stock suspension components. All stock parts will bolt in and you will still maintain all the stock suspension adjustment capabilities. Construction is from DOM steel tubing and the weight is slightly less than half of the stock k-member. It is approx. 24lbs different. The biggest factor is that there is now MASSIVE amounts of room under there to work on headers, plugs, steering, etc. Large oil pans wont be an issue at all.

Prelim pricing with steel costs on the rise would be about $600 + shipping.

At this point I'm trying to gauge interest (not taking orders) to see if it's even worth it for me to up-rev my jig one more time and start cranking out another 10-15 units. If you're interested let me know so that I can weigh the demand vs. time spent getting set up again.

Damon....don't worry...you're not forgotten :cool:

BLOWN38
11-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Interested.

SCrazy
11-26-2013, 02:21 PM
I have one of Jay's K-members and have been running it for a long time (5 years I think). It is one of my favorite mods. Forget the weight savings just being able to work on the car effortlessly from below is well worth the investment.

MadMikeyL
11-26-2013, 02:22 PM
I know there are differences between 89-92 and 93+ K-members, so would this one work in all years, or only later ones, or only early ones? Also, any pics of the previous ones installed?

fastsc92
11-26-2013, 03:09 PM
I know there are differences between 89-92 and 93+ K-members, so would this one work in all years, or only later ones, or only early ones? Also, any pics of the previous ones installed?

The jig has been constructed such that it can be fabricated to either version. Brian and Ricardo have the later version while Dave and myself have been running the earlier versions. The changes are minor and are focused on the motor mounts.

With that being said, the newest generation of these k-members will most likely go with a small block ford style of motor mount, from a fox body mustang. This will allow easy sourcing and more choices for poly mounts for FAR cheaper than that offered by SC specific vendors.

Perhaps Brian can post some pictures of his unit installed. I'll get some archived pictures up when I get home.

At this point, I'm just trying to gauge interest to see if its worth my while because there are legal and business expenses that I'd need to work out.

OxmanWI
11-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Will this work with the 4.6 94-97?

90MN12
11-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Depending on by when u need the $

rodney92sc
11-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Interested.

XxSlowpokexX
11-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Well after a long time away from the SC scene...I've had the opportunity to gather some parts and dive back into it (for better or worse...)

I've been toying around with the idea to start up tubular k-member fabrication again. There are 4 units floating around out there to date and the design will be nearly the same as what was produced in the past.

For those that haven't followed the threads in the past, this k-member will be fully tubular construction and utilizes all stock suspension components. All stock parts will bolt in and you will still maintain all the stock suspension adjustment capabilities. Construction is from DOM steel tubing and the weight is slightly less than half of the stock k-member. It is approx. 24lbs different. The biggest factor is that there is now MASSIVE amounts of room under there to work on headers, plugs, steering, etc. Large oil pans wont be an issue at all.

Prelim pricing with steel costs on the rise would be about $600 + shipping.

At this point I'm trying to gauge interest (not taking orders) to see if it's even worth it for me to up-rev my jig one more time and start cranking out another 10-15 units. If you're interested let me know so that I can weigh the demand vs. time spent getting set up again.

Damon....don't worry...you're not forgotten :cool:

hahaha! Glad to see you back!

96sport
11-26-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm with OxmanWI. If this will work with the 4.6 then I'm interested.

Russell

fastsc92
11-26-2013, 11:17 PM
A few pics from the past. I do antisipate some changes however on future items

sdw
11-27-2013, 03:29 AM
I would be interested.

Regards

Sean

MadMikeyL
11-27-2013, 09:44 AM
I am interested in one, possibly 2, both for pre-92 cars, but I would actually prefer to keep stock MN12 style motor mounts.

SCrazy
11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=fastsc92;1054641]Perhaps Brian can post some pictures of his unit installed.
/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I don't have any installed pics.

ricardoa1
11-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Mine are floating around on the forums. But don't remember what thread they were posted on.

mywhite89
11-27-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm interested in 2.

Chris

Mercutio
11-27-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm interested.

davec73
11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
Im in for one but I was under the impression that the only thing that wouldn't work is the sway bar for some reason? Also has anyone ever made a rear sub frame out of tubular steel?

rzimmerl
11-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Interested.

fastsc92
11-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Im in for one but I was under the impression that the only thing that wouldn't work is the sway bar for some reason? Also has anyone ever made a rear sub frame out of tubular steel?

...Not sure why you'd think the sway bar wouldn't work....This uses all stock suspension components without modification.

Also rear tubular arms and tubular rear subframe are in the works.....

fastsc92
11-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Alright guys....it seems like there is enough interest to get the ball rolling again. Let me tool up my equipment again and I'll get started on a small batch run. A new thread will be started when it comes time to get in line.

no164ford
11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I will take one have cash in hand. Would be a huge+ if you could drop the motor 1/2-2" what ever you can do I need clearance:D for near future plans. Let me know.

Mercutio
11-27-2013, 07:46 PM
...Not sure why you'd think the sway bar wouldn't work....This uses all stock suspension components without modification.

This is relevant to my interests.

davec73
11-27-2013, 08:03 PM

I inquired about one of the earlier ones that came up for sale a while back and that is the reason I didn't pull the trigger on it. I looked at the pics and saw that it works on this one. that's exciting news about the rear unit I myself am interested in both the front rear and lca,s

pro street rich
11-27-2013, 10:50 PM
I have been running a "K" member for a bunch of years now and it really makes it a lot easier to work on these cars. When I did a big block I had the engine dropped down for more room. This really helpped out.
Now keep in mind this was another brand, but the follow thru is the same. This is a great idea and it helps to work on these cars...Please do remake this idem as it will help out a lot of people and their cars....Rich

ben m
11-28-2013, 08:45 AM
I am very interested as well. Tagging for future updates!

TbirdTim
11-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Will this work with the 5.0 L?
if so I'm in!
Also have interest in the rear.

HwyStar
11-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Interested for my 90 if sway bar work. Would be able to get the car to squat in the rear more with thag weight off the nose. That and the battery. Would pay in 100.00 installments. Wife just lost job.

OxmanWI
11-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Interested for my 90 if sway bar work. Would be able to get the car to squat in the rear more with thag weight off the nose. That and the battery. Would pay in 100.00 installments. Wife just lost job.

Umm if your wife just lost her job, than maybe you shouldn't be buying performance parts for your car? :rolleyes:

superdadsc
11-28-2013, 11:52 AM
I am interested but it would be after taxes.:mad:

HwyStar
11-29-2013, 09:52 AM
I could make it work. Will be selling all of my Mark VIII stuff and my truck to get the breathing room to do it. I could put 100.00 down and a couple paydays I would have it. Also, got a big side job. finish that and I can pay the tool truck off. Want to go to the track next season real bad. Wife does too. Been a while since I had something fast at the track. And so far this car pulls harder than the Mach1 I had. We'd go broke to race!

supercharged95
12-01-2013, 03:37 AM
I'm interested as well

90tbirdsc
12-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Interested in front and rear setup

WES92SC
12-07-2013, 09:42 AM
saw the pics

I'm definitely in for one. Leave it primered- I want to powder coat it to match the color theme I plan on doing to my 92 SC.

I'd be in for the rear as well if it can be modded to accept a wider wheel. I'm toying with the idea of tubbing the rear for a set of fatboys!

BLOWN38
12-07-2013, 06:33 PM
saw the pics

I'm definitely in for one. Leave it primered- I want to powder coat it to match the color theme I plan on doing to my 92 SC.

I'd be in for the rear as well if it can be modded to accept a wider wheel. I'm toying with the idea of tubbing the rear for a set of fatboys!

The problem in the rear for fitting a fat tire is the upper shock mount and sway bar.

HwyStar
12-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Have you seen enough interest? Still doing the k-members? I need to plan aheadfor the money.

fastsc92
12-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Have you seen enough interest? Still doing the k-members? I need to plan aheadfor the money.

Yes, there seems to be enough interest to start this up again...almost too much for one guy to handle in a timely manner. I hate to make these on a per-order basis and I certainly don't like receiving a full payment without being able to deliver.

I don't have an exact timeframe when anything would happen just now...but perhaps late winter/early spring. I'm trying to deal with logistical issues right now that are taking some time (establishing a LLC, patents disclosures, looking into contract manufacturing, etc.). All of which take time and have some substantial costs associated with them. I've recieved a few quotes based on the drawings that I've provided and it would push the costs to an unattractive number. All the quotes that I received from independent shops were consistent...which only really showed that I completely lost my shirt on these during the first batch that I produced.:eek:

I'm at the stage where I'm re-tooling my jig(s) for a more production environment so that I can hand over the tooling and the detailed prints. I'm not sure that this is the way I'll end up going, based on costs, time commitments, etc...but it gives me more options.

The front k-member doesn't involve much work at this point, so I've put it on the back-burner until the logistical issues are resolved first. I've resurrected my rear-subframe cad models/analysis from years past and have begun poking away at that again. It's a tricky problem to solve based on the mounting locations of our chassis. My feeling right now is that there will be weight savings, but most likely only around 1/3 savings. It may not be really worth the bang for your buck since there really isn't any other benefit associated with a new rear frame (no space or access benefits) other than a "cool" factor.:rolleyes:

Rear tubular control arms are already available from another vendor and are a pretty straight forward design which I'm estimating would take a few days to properly design them followed by a few days of detailed analysis. My intention isn't to step on anyone else's toes for developing a competing product; however I personally feel that a new design could provide some user-configurable options at a much lower price-point IMO.

If I don't end up going down the contract manufacturing road, I can almost certainly say that there will be one medium-sized batch of each produced and I would throw in the towel. People just need to understand that it's a one man operation so it's very limited. I spend 50 hours a week designing machines, mechanisms and industrial products as a full-time gig so sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get home is work on more designs, fabrication, etc. I much rather crack a beer and watch some TV:D

Anyhow....things are in the works.

BLOWN38
12-14-2013, 12:10 PM
If I don't end up going down the contract manufacturing road, I can almost certainly say that there will be one medium-sized batch of each produced and I would throw in the towel. People just need to understand that it's a one man operation so it's very limited. I spend 50 hours a week designing machines, mechanisms and industrial products as a full-time gig so sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get home is work on more designs, fabrication, etc. I much rather crack a beer and watch some TV:D

I completely understand this.

davec73
12-14-2013, 12:18 PM
I completely understand this.

I get it as well and im in no hurry. Just excited that you are going to make the front, rear and lcas. If I understand correct the lcas that are out there now are for the cobra and don't accept the coil spring setup we run on our cars they are for a coil over setup?

fastsc92
12-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I get it as well and im in no hurry. Just excited that you are going to make the front, rear and lcas. If I understand correct the lcas that are out there now are for the cobra and don't accept the coil spring setup we run on our cars they are for a coil over setup?

https://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=934.....I can't say I agree with the price point, but they are available.

r429460
12-14-2013, 01:50 PM
So, your not going to make the part in the near future?:confused:

VicRattlehead
12-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Keep me in the loop on this. Need one for a mod motor

HwyStar
12-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Just use a 93 up member for 4.6 from AJE. Same for Mark VIII, and I have one. I think what he is producing here is more early SC, or pre 93. And, at a better price than AJE.

I understand too. Not on a compressed time frame, just wondering if you wanted money soon, then I would have to plan for it. Still in the Navy, and I dont want to come home and work on cars or trucks either, but have to do it to pay bills. I definetly understand

XxSlowpokexX
12-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Im interested in that cracking beer protocol after work! Looking forward to whatever you end up creating

fastsc92
12-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Im interested in that cracking beer protocol after work! Looking forward to whatever you end up creating

I resurrected your k member from storage. It needs final welding and the motor mounts to be installed. I hope to get it to you by the beginning of the year.

XxSlowpokexX
12-19-2013, 05:52 PM
I resurrected your k member from storage. It needs final welding and the motor mounts to be installed. I hope to get it to you by the beginning of the year.

Interested in a 2001 Aprilia RSV Mille R Project?:)

90sc35thann
12-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Would love one of these for an SC.

good to doo
12-26-2013, 01:13 PM
I would really like one of these for my 95sc, provided it can be shipped to Canada. How much weight savings do you think It has over stock? not that I am really concerned about it. The ease of working on the car is enough with this unit. thanks.

fastsc92
12-26-2013, 05:51 PM
I would really like one of these for my 95sc, provided it can be shipped to Canada. How much weight savings do you think It has over stock? not that I am really concerned about it. The ease of working on the car is enough with this unit. thanks.

Approx. 20lbs.

talonhead
02-24-2014, 04:03 AM
I'd be interested in a '93 with dropped motor mounts, to drop the 460;)
MikeH

old_coot
03-17-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm waiting to see the start up thread....Good to see you back.....Dan

ironworker
03-19-2014, 10:39 PM
I would like to get one of these ...

SHEPP
03-22-2014, 08:59 PM
I'd like 2...................

kpoindex08
04-03-2014, 05:05 AM
Count on 2 for me as well. I realy hope you decide to fabrocate these again!

fastsc92
04-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Update...

This is taking a lot longer than expected to get things ironed out in terms of outsourcing fabrication. I don't have the capacity to turn these out in a higher-volume settings so I've been working with local vendors in order to get these made.

Unfortunately, the cost associated with this effort is quite substantial up-front. Between welding fixtures, straightening fixtures, NRE and upfront material costs, we're looking into double-digit thousands of dollars. Add legal fees for patent disclosures, etc....tack on another double-digit thousand pricetag (In process).

For me to personally drop that kind of money, I'd be taking a huge risk....with pretty much no R.O.I.. If I were starting a company based off of this business, it would be a different story, but unfortunately that's not the case.

I have one lead out in China which would be able to produce these at about 4x less, but between customs fees and a much more difficult quality control process to monitor.....I'm not convinced it's a wise move.

With all that being said....I'm not abandoning the idea, but it's looking like I'll have to be fabricating these one at a time, which takes a lot longer. With life changes taking priority, I'm not sure how much free time I'll have to dedicate to these.

More updates to follow

nmcbchief
05-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Sure wish this would have happened.

fastsc92
05-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Sure wish this would have happened.

As do I. Still trying to wrap up some IP, which inherently is a long and expensive process.

One or two used units may pop up over the summer as I transition to a chromoly unit for my project car (please don't PM me, just keep an eye out). I still owe one to Damon too.:o

XxSlowpokexX
06-27-2016, 11:29 PM
On day youll get the bug again!

BIG PETE
08-21-2016, 12:34 PM
Hopefully that day will arrive because I'm interested in one for a modular powered 97!

-Pete

fastsc92
08-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Getting things together and tooling up for a small run of these. What would the preferred motor mounts be? Stock or aftermarket (energy suspensions, etc.)?

Since 89-92 and 93-97 use different motor mount brackets I can either configure the jig for both versions and utilize stock-type or configure the jig one way to incorporate one aftermarket version. The aftermarket method will cost more out of pocket so keep that in mind.

Thoughts?

davec73
08-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Getting things together and tooling up for a small run of these. What would the preferred motor mounts be? Stock or aftermarket (energy suspensions, etc.)?

Since 89-92 and 93-97 use different motor mount brackets I can either configure the jig for both versions and utilize stock-type or configure the jig one way to incorporate one aftermarket version. The aftermarket method will cost more out of pocket so keep that in mind.

Thoughts?
Stock mounts suck so any other option would be better

TBirdJKC
08-30-2016, 09:35 PM
What would the estimated cost difference be?

Mercutio
08-30-2016, 10:10 PM
This is relevant to my interests. I'd like to know about the cost as well.

Do you have a timeframe in mind? No pressure, just curious.

rzimmerl
08-31-2016, 11:08 AM
Interested in this also, and I would configure for stock mounts for those that have the nice Turbo Chuck mounts ;) Did not know Energy offered aftermarket mounts for the 3.8

XxSlowpokexX
08-31-2016, 11:24 AM
Energy does??

drummerzrok24
08-31-2016, 12:08 PM
I would also be interested in one of these as well.

fastsc92
08-31-2016, 02:10 PM
Did not know Energy offered aftermarket mounts for the 3.8

...They do not, but at this point I can design it to hold any off the shelf component. I may be wrong, but as long as the pattern fits a SBF (and a 3.8L), it should be good. Expect a cost adder of somewhere in the $150 range.

nmcbchief
08-31-2016, 02:37 PM
Look at the mounts for a 97 F150 4.2L. I think these would work much better than our Stock ones.

MadMikeyL
08-31-2016, 06:45 PM
I don't see what's wrong with the stock mounts?

Mercutio
08-31-2016, 08:28 PM
...They do not, but at this point I can design it to hold any off the shelf component. I may be wrong, but as long as the pattern fits a SBF (and a 3.8L), it should be good. Expect a cost adder of somewhere in the $150 range.

So what are you thinking for a base level price? The OP mentions $600, but that was three years ago.

XxSlowpokexX
08-31-2016, 08:58 PM
I don't see what's wrong with the stock mounts?

I ripped a few apart. Have the chuck mounts now....Ripped one side of that up as well

rzimmerl
08-31-2016, 09:36 PM
I ripped a few apart. Have the chuck mounts now....Ripped one side of that up as well

Yep so have I and have come up with a much better bushing then the poly.

fastsc92
09-01-2016, 07:50 AM
So what are you thinking for a base level price? The OP mentions $600, but that was three years ago.

TBD, but probably less than originally expected. Laser-cut parts are slowly trickling in. Once I make a second one on the new jig, I'll be better able to assess time spent, material cost, consumable cost, etc. The new jig is much more efficient so that should help out a bunch. Im building a new one for myself right now out of chromoly, so it'll allow me to make a trial run with the newly configured jig. Pretty excited about this one..I estimate it weighing in around 17lbs. The other units will be made out of DOM tubing however in order to keep costs down.

SCrazy
09-01-2016, 10:40 AM
I've had one of the original units on my car for MANY MANY years, it was one of the best mods I ever did and is holding up well. If for no other reason than making the car much easier to work on.

The only change I might suggest is to pop for powder coating. Original paint peeled off in no time.

J dot Miller
09-01-2016, 06:44 PM
I am interested.

davec73
09-02-2016, 11:38 PM
I am in for one as well

TBirdJKC
09-02-2016, 11:54 PM
I'll be in for one as well.

kpoindex08
09-04-2016, 01:17 AM
I am still good for two. I'm getting excited!

dungdn93
09-06-2016, 12:14 AM
I know there are differences between the 89-92 and 93+ K-member, so this is a job for all of the year, or only later ones, or those who just started going? In addition, any picture of the previous ones installed?

Kurt K
09-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Just joining the thread.

BLOWN38
09-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Just joining the thread.

Hey you cheap ~~~... donate to the sccoa. :)

Kurt K
09-07-2016, 12:07 AM
Hey you cheap ~~~... donate to the sccoa. :)
Hmm, not sure when that happened :)

CMac89
09-07-2016, 02:23 PM
I'd go for a chromoly one, since mine is mild steel. I would not need motor mount provisions, either, and would probably use my LCAs, which are tubular factory style. So pretty much just the framing less the motor mounts.

fastsc92
09-07-2016, 03:12 PM
I'd go for a chromoly one, since mine is mild steel. I would not need motor mount provisions, either, and would probably use my LCAs, which are tubular factory style. So pretty much just the framing less the motor mounts.

The plan right now is for mild steel units, mainly from a fabrication standpoint. All the tubing is tig welded, but the rest of the parts are mig welded to reduce warpage and speed fabrication. Going to chromoly would require all tig welding. The unit I'm making is chromoly, but this is strictly reserved for those who pretend to go fast while their car under pedal power ;)

kpoindex08
09-07-2016, 07:31 PM
How many units are you planning on producing this go round?

dungdn93
10-03-2016, 04:14 AM
I have one of Jay K-member and have been running it for a long time (5 years, I think). It is one of my favorite mods. Forget the weight savings can only work on the car easily from below is well worth the investment.

mywhite89
10-03-2016, 10:15 PM
I would be interested in 2, please keep me updated.

Chris

supercharged95
10-03-2016, 10:52 PM
I'm interested as well

dungdn93
10-25-2016, 05:28 AM
I am interested in one, maybe two, both given 92 vehicles, but I really want to hold shares MN12 style motor.

Bill Evanoff
01-05-2017, 04:39 PM
Very interested and joining the thread.

Are these still in the works?

ScrapSC
01-05-2017, 05:00 PM
As am I... I have been wanting one of these since the first go round...

XxSlowpokexX
01-16-2017, 05:56 PM
One day maybe! lol

fastsc92
01-20-2017, 12:34 PM
One day maybe! lol

Patent stuff is slowly rolling in and being updated. Once the process is a little further down the road, we'll get these going again.

This process has been long and certainly not cheap! Patience is key.

Mercutio
04-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Any news? I'm in the process of engine swapping my LX and will have to remove the K-member anyway.

pro street rich
07-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Patent stuff is slowly rolling in and being updated. Once the process is a little further down the road, we'll get these going again.

This process has been long and certainly not cheap! Patience is key.

If you go back and read all the crap we have been going thru with these "AJE" set up's you might get the idea to move this to the front burners on your stove... There has been quite a few issues with motor mounts and now with the other parts as well. I got lucky and I am going to be running smaller tires on my setup but others have had rims get scrapped up from things hitting them... We need this product and we need something soon.....Rich.... Just my $0.02 worth here...

Merc460
09-30-2017, 10:13 AM
Any updates? I am in the market and don't really want a AJE.

davec73
09-30-2017, 11:15 AM
I saw this and thought I'd comment that all of the major issues with my AJE k member were worked out. the new Las are much bigger than the old ones. It rides and drives fantastic and of course it handles much better than stock. only flaw that didn't get worked out is when at 75% to 90% of steering lock the inside of the wheel rubs the lca.

Fast Freddy
10-07-2017, 11:02 PM
I would be interested also.

pro street rich
10-12-2017, 12:54 PM
this last week I had to send all my junk back to them. the wheels were sticking out of the fenders by THREE INCHES... So here I sit more than a year into the front rework with it still on jack stands.. Rich p.s. this is an AJE setup to make that clear...