Motor mounts are missing clip/braces

GAR

I took the engine out of my 1990 SC and it looks like a clip from my motor mount is missing from one side and the rubber on the other side is dry rotted. Picture of the specific missing/rotting clip is attached.

The motor mounts used to be sold as a unit from Ford:

Part# 6C010 RH
Part# 6C060 LH

Does anyone have any experience replacing these clips on the motor mounts?

Attachments

• Motor_Mount.jpg
    Motor_Mount.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 97
All those clips are used for is NVH when the motor twists and hitting the two pieces of steel together.

What kind of rubber do you recommend?

What do you have on hand?

Old truck inner tube, mud flap, whatever is not so thick you can't fold and fit as needed.

They don't get used much until/unless the motor mount gives out, I think :)

Interesting.

I just replaced the motor mounts on my 1990 SC, I noticed the clip was missing on the driver side. The other 2 engines I have in the garage are also missing the the driver side.
I will go check my 93 and my anniversary but would it possible that the clip is only installed on the passenger side?

That would make sense - since the passenger side is the one that would rise on accel forward.

RwP

I picked up a set of solid rubber mounts to replace stockers while doing HGs. I was considering welding a couple pieces of 1/8 plate between tabs and surrounding frame, creating more like a solid motor mount. I relies it would transfer more noise/vibration but have had cars with true solid mounts and am ok with it. Any reason this would not work/be a bad idea?

Adam

What kind of rubber do you recommend?

I just replaced the mounts in my new to me '90 and it was missing as well. I just slid a chunk of heater hose over the center section, thinking it will work in the event it hits top or bottom. Not sure how long that would last if it made regular contact (next time they go bad) but that would be the indication a replacement is due. Good luck :cool:

That would make sense - since the passenger side is the one that would rise on accel forward.

RwP

Driver's side of the motor lifts and Passenger side compresses on hard acceleration. If the tab is missing from the driver's side it probably fell off from getting hit constantly because of the stock jell filled motor mounts.

David

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the help you guys!

Especially David Neibert, RSC'91, and rzimmerl!

Back