loud sound coming from engine

dkhanojr

Hey guys,
I'm getting a loud noise (hum?) and air hiss while idling coming from the air intake(throttle body). Removed supercharger belt to verify sound wasn't coming from there and its not. When the car is turned off there's also a very loud noise as that valve closes.
Any help is greatly appreciated as I've looked thru the whole board with no mention of the problems I'm having. If anything can I drive it 15 or so miles to a repair shop or should it be towed there. Thanks for the help.

Dale

Idle trouble? If so then it is you IAC is bad. If not the you may have the troble I had, I had a bad vacum hose on the bad of the inlet.

Biggin'

Air hiss

I had a similar situation and it turned out to be the vacuum line to the boost gauge. It kept popping off the plenum during full boost.

iac

Does it sound like a boat horn when you turn it off?? It's more then likely the Idle air control valve. Replace it with only one from the dealership.. Real easy to change. Part is about $95...

When mine went south, 1st I only had the noise, then the idle got real bad. I have a 5 speed, and the car would rev to 2500rpm, without even touching the pedals. I was a pain trying to keep the car below 80 mph

Last edited:
loud noise

Thanks Burns Z, hwycoper and big_boyys_sc for your inputs, It turned out to be the IAC after all. Cost me $141.00 from the ford
dealer here (Due to the "Lucky you live Hawaii" luxury tax). I can't
thank you all enough for all the help I've gotten off this SCCOA website. ALOHA
Dale

Back