Still Leaking After Installing Crankshaft Repair or "Speedi" Sleeve-How do I Remove?

Joels_Black93SC

Still Leaking After Installing Crankshaft Repair or "Speedi" Sleeve-How do I Remove?

I discovered a bad oil drip after installing my 5-speed tranny. It appears either I didn't install the Fel Pro 16250 crankshaft repair sleeve properly or the sleeve is too long to allow the rear main seal to fully seat. I did use the installation too Fel Pro 16300 and it "bottom out", which told me it wouldn't go any deeper.

I'm positive I have the right seal, Fel pro BS40620 (actually it's National 3909, rebranded as a Fel pro). It's leaking oil worse than before the old seal was removed and before the new sleeve was installed. At this point, I just want to back up and punt by removing the sleeve and just putting the new seal in. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks,
JH

I have installed sleeves on both my sc's and definitely fixed my oil leak issues from the rear main. I always use the ptfe seal from ford with the speedy sleeve repair kit from napa, that makes things nice and tight. My guess is that you didn't Install it right or you have the wrong seal. I Always rtv the outside of the seal also to Eliminate that as a possible leak. Guess you could measure your crank in several different areas to make sure it is still truly round.

Chris

Most ptfe seals say not to use a sleeve with them.
Alan

Fair enough, but that is my experience. Going on three years with one of the cars and no leaks. Tried about every combination without sleeving it or replacing the crank and it still leaked.

Chris

Just wanted to throw that out there but if the groove is bad enough I don't see what choice there is. I always sand the crank really well with a fine paper before installing sleeves, and a little light oil doesn't hurt either. The ptfe has a wide surface area that should prevent the seal groove issue and seal on a lightly grooved crank.
Alan

Back