Clutch upgrade advise

jjklongisland

So I am thinking about buying a new clutch and start acquiring parts little by little as the money becomes available. My mechanic and friend recommended a center force and I read alot about them on the forum. I also know the Spec 1 seams good. I dont plan on major mods other that minor power adders, pulley, exhaust, etc. It looks like I would need the following parts:

Centerforce CFT360049 Centerforce II Clutch Pressure Plate
Centerforce 281226 Clutch Disc
Centerforce N1754 Throw Out Bearing

I know I should replace the slave cylinder but having a hard time choosing the best one. Which do you recommend with this set up. The cost of the top 3 components are $350. What else should I replace while the tranny is out?

Clutch:
  • Pilot bearing
  • Engine rear main seal?
  • Shims?

How's the trans?

• Shifter bushings?
  • Trans front/rear seals ?
  • U-joints?

Clutch:
  • Pilot bearing
  • Engine rear main seal?
  • Shims?

How's the trans?

• Shifter bushings?
  • Trans front/rear seals ?
  • U-joints?

Thanks bro...
Pilot bearing seams cheap enough to do...
Rear Main Seals always leak so your right...
Shims I will leave to my mechanic
Shifter bushings - Are they necessary even if I just got a ripper shifter??? Pardon my ignorance.
Tranny seals are dry as a bone
U-joints a good idea. I am guessing a nice set of moogs

>Are they necessary even if I just got a ripper shifter???

I'd think the ripper would cover it :)

How is the pedal pivot bushing...any play on that side of the firewall?

Clutch pedal pad in good shape?

>Are they necessary even if I just got a ripper shifter???

I'd think the ripper would cover it :)

How is the pedal pivot bushing...any play on that side of the firewall?

Clutch pedal pad in good shape?

Clutch pedal seams fine. No play, just grabs real high... I am sure the stage 2 clutch will take care of that..

Since you have no plans for a lot of power, why not stick with a factory stock clutch. They were made for your car and will last even with minor up grades.

Since you have no plans for a lot of power, why not stick with a factory stock clutch. They were made for your car and will last even with minor up grades.

I guess I could but since I am pulling it apart and being that this will be my car for a lifetime I am figuring I should probably upgrade things with the best of parts. I know Centerforce are very good and although I dont plan on drag racing the thing I do drive it hard...

I've had all 3, stock, centerforce, and spec clutches in my various SCs. I currently have the centerforce in my car. Honestly, even a stock clutch held up just fine to mild mods. The centerforce feels just like stock at idle, but does get heavier when you are shifting at high rpms, so if you drive a lot in traffic, that might be a good bet. Personally, I like the feel of the Spec clutch the best, but it definitely was notably heavier than either stock or the centerforce. Any one of the 3 will probably work for you though, and all should last a long time.

I've had all 3, stock, centerforce, and spec clutches in my various SCs. I currently have the centerforce in my car. Honestly, even a stock clutch held up just fine to mild mods. The centerforce feels just like stock at idle, but does get heavier when you are shifting at high rpms, so if you drive a lot in traffic, that might be a good bet. Personally, I like the feel of the Spec clutch the best, but it definitely was notably heavier than either stock or the centerforce. Any one of the 3 will probably work for you though, and all should last a long time.

thanks for the helpful info. I guess I will see cost difference and figure out which one will work best for me. I will also look into the spec one.

OK, so cheapest I found stage 2 clutch packages including tax and shipping for the spec 1 stage 2 for $332. The centerforce was a bit more at $360. I think I am going to go with the Spec 2 since it is Kevlar based vs organic... Now I need to find a slave cylinder. Any suggestions. Amazon has the AC Delco for $67 with shipping and tax

Attachments

• slave cylinder.jpg
    slave cylinder.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 104
I have a spec 2 in my 89 and it feels like stock. Very easy as far as pressure to push in.
My 89 that got totaled also had a spec 2 and the first time I drove it I couldn't believe how much pressure it took to push it in. I got use to it and then it felt normal.
Guess it had to do with some other issues.

So I went with Spec 1. I cant wait until I drive her tonight...

Here she is trying to get her other gremlins sorted out....

I'd say that this clutch was indeed in needing of replacement

So I hate to revitalize an old thread, but. . . I'm in your exact spot. I need to pull the tranny as I believe my slave cylinder is leaking. Car is basically stock (And what's not is most going back to stock.) I'm between a stock clutch and a Spec 1. Curious how the Spec 1 felt for you? And what did you do for a slave cylinder?

If I go stock, what's considered a "stock" clutch? I see Rockauto has an AMS Automotive - not a name I'm familiar with. Where else might I find a stock clutch?

What else did you replace while you were at it? My feeling on the rear main seal is if it's dry, do NOT mess with it. Seems too many times I've heard of people messing with it and getting burned.

Back