Bad DIS?

Dougie

I checked out this tread first.. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48398&highlight=dis+diagram

After reviewing I found another thread that gave a DIS troubleshooting guide for an 89 SC and a DIS no start diagram. The DIS in the pic has 6 connectors in and out, but the '92 I have only has 5 connectors in and out. I wanted to be sure the DIS was bad before I actually replaced it. Ruling out any other problems I wanted to be sure first. My car is not firing on cylinder 1 or 5. (Coil 1). More than likely a DIS, but others have told me crank sensor. Is there a DIS diagram for the '92 on here or should I go ahead and get a different DIS?

is it pulling any codes? that is a dead give away.

The first code was for coil 3. after swapping cam sensor back and forth and plugging and unplugging wires it now gives a code for coil 1. In that said, makes me wonder if it's the harness or actually the DIS.

Normal part of these scenarios involves checking grounds, so....

As for not replacing a DIS without good cause, unless you can find an auto parts store willing to test one of these, swapping it out may be the easiest path and yes, I know they aren't cheap, but used ones are...usually.

Normal part of these scenarios involves checking grounds, so....

As for not replacing a DIS without good cause, unless you can find an auto parts store willing to test one of these, swapping it out may be the easiest path and yes, I know they aren't cheap, but used ones are...usually.

Autozone does test the DIS so I will run there today to have them check it before doing anything else. I DO NOT want to spend money for something that is working. If anything else maybe someone on here will have one and be willing to trade for something else off my 95 that I disassembled.

I don't think it's likely that a crank sensor problem would result in just one coil not operating. I think the most likely cause is a bad circuit in the DIS module. To rule out the coil itself, check the resistance across the secondaries.

Also, just so you know, I have had a DIS test good and then fail very quickly once the car warmed up. So a bench test is not a guarantee.

A used part is hit or miss, but if it works, it may last for years. The new parts are shared across quite a few models, so are not that expensive.

The DIS is failing on PIP and Dwell. Now to buy one (around $90) or for trade if anyone is interested. PM or Email me if you need parts for a 95 SC

Back