V6 supercharged to V8 conversion

Judge

1990 V6 supercharged engine is blown. Have used for track racing and was looking into swap with carburated V8. This has 5 speed standard transmission. The bell housing does not appear separate from gearbox. Will the V8 bolt up?
Motor mounts?
Any other issues?
thanks
Judge

yes it will fit. the 3.8L and the 5.0L are the same bellhousing. you will need 91-93 tbird 5.0L motor mounts and radiator. you can NOT use the 3.8L flywheel on the 5.0L due to the balance

Last edited:
1990 V6 supercharged engine is blown. Have used for track racing and was looking into swap with carburated V8. This has 5 speed standard transmission. The bell housing does not appear separate from gearbox. Will the V8 bolt up?
Motor mounts?
Any other issues?
thanks
Judge

For this conversion, do you have to swap out much of the wiring harnesses or can most of them still be used? I'm sure EEC has to be changed but what else wiring wise?

why would you ever want to go backwards on technology...just fix the problems with the current engine.

Much easier to tune??? I don't know how much electronics you would put back converting it back, but I wouldn't have any electircal stuff excerpt for what I would need. So, it'll be much easier to tune it, and work on! No stupid sensors to keep it from running right and crap like that.

Much easier to tune??? I don't know how much electronics you would put back converting it back, but I wouldn't have any electircal stuff excerpt for what I would need. So, it'll be much easier to tune it, and work on! No stupid sensors to keep it from running right and crap like that.

Yea, going carbureted would be easiest to tune. i'm guessing if going fuel injected I could possibly get a harness from the 5.0 t-birds. I'm stickin' with the 3.8 for now. It's almost stock and outran a stock '90 5.0 mustang the other day :) I'm happy with the results even though I just barely beat him in 1/4 mile

do the swap

I have been doing them for years now. The carb is simple and trouble free. Use a "MSD" dist and controll box and you just unplug the V6 stuff. Engine mounts are out thewre as well. When I do big blocks I make my own adaptor to go from the stock frame mount to the engine. Now if you go this way you will need to get a different trans. I put either C6's or C4's in them. The bell housing for the C4's are hard to come by but the C6's are everywhere. Good luck and have fun......Rich

I have been doing them for years now. The carb is simple and trouble free. Use a "MSD" dist and controll box and you just unplug the V6 stuff. Engine mounts are out thewre as well. When I do big blocks I make my own adaptor to go from the stock frame mount to the engine. Now if you go this way you will need to get a different trans. I put either C6's or C4's in them. The bell housing for the C4's are hard to come by but the C6's are everywhere. Good luck and have fun......Rich

Why do you need to get a diffrent trans?

that is right

The bell has a different bolt pattern.

Here is where is gets funny. The C4 bell is removeable and that being said you can use one of them. The mid 70's "M" 351's use the same bolt pattern as a big block. All the rest are the same pattern as we use. Hope this helps some.....Rich

The 5.0 and 5.8 have the same Bolt pattern as the 3.8. Idk why you would need a diffrent trans unless you wanted to go auto.

Last edited:
Rich is talking about the 385 series engine. and if you have the m5r2 it wont fit the big block. I dont know if you can get an ultra bell for a stick but that could be a possibility if you want a big block.

Back