96-7 Front end swap on 89 SC

Supacharged89

What is involved in swaping the front end from a 96-7 bird on to my 89 SC? Is it just all bolt on with the same mounting points or is the radiator support different? I know I will need the new style fenders, hood and lights, but is that all? The reason I want to do this is to upgrade to the better headlights and put on the Xenon 96-7 air dam.
Thanks in advance

you dont have to change fenders, all 89-97 mn12 fenders are the same EXCEPT that 89-95 SC fenders have 2 holes drilled in them to mount hte ground effects, but other than that, they are the same (well except for each year/model's different trim pieces)

I also have an 89 SC and am planning on putting the 96-7 Xenon ground effects on. I'm planning on going all the way around though. I have to wait until I get the $$ first. New baby takes priority! Let me know how it goes. And what the cost will look like. I haven't looked too hard at it yet since it is a year or so off.

The addtion was the the older style rear valances. The front bumper cover I am pretty sure is whole as well as the rear for the 96-7 rear valance. I'm looking at what little info Xenon has online right now, and from the best that I can tell, it is whole.

pdennis93 said:
you dont have to change fenders, all 89-97 mn12 fenders are the same EXCEPT that 89-95 SC fenders have 2 holes drilled in them to mount hte ground effects, but other than that, they are the same (well except for each year/model's different trim pieces)
i'm converting my car too.
i was at the dealer today and asked if thepart numbers on the 96-97 fenders were the same for the 90 SC and he said they are the same up till 95.

i guess this makes since because why else would you have to change the parking lights.

if you have heard anything else, please let me know cuz i am debating putting the 96-97 front clip on and changing the fenders to putting the 94-95 SC clip on and just changing the hood, .only headlights, and headerpanel

Well, there were no SCs made in 96-97, but the fenders will interchange for all years with only the minor trrim mounting hole differences as previously stated. The reason the corner lamps need to be changed is because they are a different style in 96-97. I have the 96-97 corner lamps (and headlights) on my 89 with the original 89 fenders.

the Xenon Front Air Dam is an addition to the '96-'97 Front Bumper cover and they do supply with double sided tape and a few screws for inside the fender wells. I wasn't going to trust it with some tape, especially with it rubbing the ground on steep driveways so i used a type of glue, dont remeber the exact name of it right now but i can find out if you email me. there are other minor things that a person wouldnt think of in this conversion. On my '95, when i put the '97 header panel with headlights I noticed that the slot for the hood latch handle was farther away. if you want to keep your hood padding then the '95 hood pad does fit under a '97 hood also. and there is a plastic support underneath the bumper cover that you will also have to buy because the '95- styles will not fit. many others, email me if you have questions... ilusnforc@aol.com

Attachments

• pic_1.jpg
    pic_1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 269
I have a '93 SC that I've been considering doing the 96-97 front clip swap. Does anyone know if the rear-bumper cover and the Xenon rear-valance and sideskirts will bolt-up to my car, or are the mounting points different on the 96-97? Thanks...

-Casey

datarogue -
im pretty sure that the Xenon rear valence will not fit on your rear bumper cover, you would have to buy the LX bumper from the same year style that the kit is made for. The Xenon '89-'95 side-skirts should fit on, but you will have to remove your factory SC gfx. I think the Xenon '96-'97 side skirts will fit also, but may need an adhesive glue and might not have a flush fit.

Super Cougar -
Xenon does sell a few cougar kits -

http://body-kits.com/xenon/images/ford-linc-mercury/94-95cougar-5559.jpg

http://www.autoworldaccessories.com/images/parts/xenon/5709.jpg

The same rules would probably apply, you would need to swap to the matching year Thunderbird LX bumpers and '89-'95 side skirts will fit.

hood latch???

i am also doing the conversion within the next week except with a 94/95 bumper . but i thought you just need the hood latch release thing not the whole latch, right?

off the topic but the other string mentioned a photo of a yellow SVT T-bird. and idea where i could locate this picture?

Back