Sunroof problems

Dougie

I cannot get my sunroof to sit completely flat and I always hear air while driving. The seals look in good shape, but you can tell the rear of the sunroof sits up high in the back. Could I possibly have a bent bar or something? No matter how hard I try to get it to go perfect it either opens one way or another. The automatic moonroof really makes it more difficult. Any ideas would help. Thanx in advance

Automatic? I think you have an aftermarket sunroof, probably from ASP.

Stock there is no auto. You must hold the button to any movement.

There are 6 set screws that hold the glass retainer to the lifter arms. 3 on the right and 3 on the left. You have to sort of pry up on the plastic liner to see them. Also, you can push the switch to raise the back edge up as high as possible to see them. Loosen all of them a bit and adjust the front back of the glass as needed. Tighten just the front and back until it seats right and then tighten the middle one. See if that helps out.

There are 6 set screws that hold the glass retainer to the lifter arms. 3 on the right and 3 on the left. You have to sort of pry up on the plastic liner to see them. Also, you can push the switch to raise the back edge up as high as possible to see them. Loosen all of them a bit and adjust the front back of the glass as needed. Tighten just the front and back until it seats right and then tighten the middle one. See if that helps out.

Thanks.. I will definitely try that.

If its a stock sunroof and the back of your sunroof is consistently high, your motor may be out of sync with your roof panel. Its easy to straighten it out.
1- Close the sunroof
2- remove the motor access cover
3- drop the motor
4- rotate the spline to position the sunroof flush with the opening
5- Install the motor
6- replace the access cover

Takes about 5 minutes

Yea, it's always high right in the center more than the sides but I see what you're saying. Either the screws or remove the motor and readjust. Thanks for your input.. Much appreciated.

Either the screws or remove the motor and readjust.

I would try the motor/spline method first, because if you tweak the screws first and that's not it, you have to try to undo those changes and then change the splines.

If changing the splines isn't the issue, it should be easier to revert, I'd think. As well, that would let you eyes-on the motor and splines to insure no slop/wear issues there that need attention and prohibit any other tweaks from helping.

Good luck in any case.

Back