Whats the difference?

good to doo

Can someone explain the difference between the front shock/strut that our cars use and these coil overs that I have seen for sale. They basically look the same, thanks all.

Can someone explain the difference between the front shock/strut that our cars use and these coil overs that I have seen for sale.

Are you asking about factory macpherson struts or coil-over racing shocks vs. our cars...?

Our cars have a SLA(short long arm) front suspension with a shock. Which is a very good system. You could put one of the coil over shocks in there if you get the proper length, spring and mounts.

Are you asking about factory macpherson struts or coil-over racing shocks vs. our cars...?

Ya our cars use the McPherson strut with a large spring, these coil over shocks look like they use a much smaller spring. So how can they support the weight?Just wondering what is different about them. Thanks.

Our cars do not use a McPherson strut. McPherson struts are only used on cars without upper control arms, as the strut bolts to the spindle in multiple locations, fixing the relationship between the two and controlling the camber curve.

I have smaller (2.5" diameter) springs on the front of my SC. Here's how I did it: http://sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103543

Can you post a link to the coilovers you're talking about?

Last edited:
Ya our cars use the McPherson strut with a large spring, these coil over shocks look like they use a much smaller spring. So how can they support the weight?Just wondering what is different about them. Thanks.

Our cars don't use macpherson struts.

The difference is that a macpherson strut is "a type of car suspension system which uses the axis of a telescopic damper as the upper steering pivot."

In our cars, the shock doesn't turn...it's fixed to the fender at the top and the lower control arm on the bottom.

If you have a picture of another type shock you're asking about, maybe someone can comment on them specifically.

I believe the spring rate has to do with the thickness of wire and the total length of wire. If you use a smaller diameter for the spring, you can add more turns to make up the length. I think that is why you see a few strut springs with very large diameters and relatively few turns. However, there is a limit on how many turns you can fit in, as the turns will get too close together and you will run out of space, which will limit suspension travel.

Does that answer the question?

Back