No Turn Over From Key Start Position SOLVED

Xounlistedxox

I have an 89 SC that will not start from the key in the start position. I've replaced the ignition switch on the steering column and the starter solenoid on the driver side inner fender. Checked all fuses and they're fine. It starts up just fine if I jump the starter solenoid. Mine is a 5 speed. Does it have something like a neutral safety switch that could be bad & cause this problem? What's next?

Thanks In Advance,
Brandon

There was a connector hanging off the transmissions this was the neutral safety switch plug for auto trans. Mine is a manual, & the factory jumper was not there. I put a jumper wire there, & that solved the problem.

Last edited:

I'll take a look up under the dash to see if the clutch switch is there & in working order. I did notice one connector on my transmission that was dangling there not plugged into anything. I looked all over & there's nothing for it to plug into. I originally thought this might be the problem, but then figured it was likely something for an auto trans & ford just used the same harness for them all

If your meaning the mounting clip for the switch, i made mine. When i get home after while i will try to take some pics. i may have one i can send to you if thats what you need.

If your meaning the mounting clip for the switch, i made mine. When i get home after while i will try to take some pics. i may have one i can send to you if thats what you need.

We'll see shortly. Once my GF leaves for work in a few minutes I'm going to go check it out. I could just be cool and put a push button start in there if all else fails I suppose. Radio shack is not far from me.

Maybe good opportunity to replace the cigarette lighter w/one of these...
silverhorse-racing-start-button.jpg

I jumpers this connection & voila start from key, and clutch must be down to start. Is there a factory jumper that's supposed to be here?

I jumpers this connection & voila start from key, and clutch must be down to start. Is there a factory jumper that's supposed to be here?

I have a harness from a '95 that has a jumper in that position so I would assume so. Must be an automatic plugin part.

there is supposed to be a shorting plug there on a manual. that connector is the neutral safety switch connector on the auto.

How did it ever start then, if adding a jumper fixed it? Wouldnt it have been always unable to start?

How did it ever start then, if adding a jumper fixed it? Wouldnt it have been always unable to start?

The previous owner claimed that they put an ignition interruptor switch in because someone had attempted to steal it before. They ran wires from the starter solenoid on the inner fender into the cab. It was simply two wires that just needed to be touched together & it fired up.

I wanted to ditch the ghetto setup, so I replaced the ignition switch. The old one fell apart when removed, so it needed it, but still wouldn't start from the key, so I had to investigate further.

Back