1990 SC Auto no start issue

XxSlowpokexX

I did a bit of reading and it seem sit may be the DIS moduale...But what do you think?

Just bought the car did a 117 mile trip flawlessly. Drove it around another 20 miles today no issue. I then started it and it seemd to crank a few times more than usual before starting..Ran fine however and I didnt think about it. Parked car after about 30 min of driving. Came out three hours later and it just cranks no start. I checked for fuel at the rail its there. Checked for spark at the coil, none. No check engine light and no shift arrow or anything like that. Before getting deep into this and going crazy what do you think and what should I check next if anything? Car had been sitting awhile but all wiring and whatnot look to be in excellant shape. Always something

Thanks!

I didnt run any codes yet. There was never any check engine light but I supposse doing the KOEO may pick up something

Last edited:
Check the small wire to the starter. I had the same issue wit my SC and found the wire had come loose. I pushed it on and the car fired right up. It's worth a shot and real cheap.

I know which wire your talking about. The car cranks over. Just does not start. Ill go back to it tomorrow. Also its bene siting potentially something has some corrosion on it. Ill check all connectors and clean

I did a bit of reading and it seem sit may be the DIS moduale...But what do you think?

Just bought the car did a 117 mile trip flawlessly. Drove it around another 20 miles today no issue. I then started it and it seemd to crank a few times more than usual before starting..Ran fine however and I didnt think about it. Parked car after about 30 min of driving. Came out three hours later and it just cranks no start. I checked for fuel at the rail its there. Checked for spark at the coil, none. No check engine light and no shift arrow or anything like that. Before getting deep into this and going crazy what do you think and what should I check next if anything? Car had been sitting awhile but all wiring and whatnot look to be in excellant shape. Always something

Thanks!

This is exactly what happened to me. Wound up being corrosion on the coil pack plug. Check that. If it's not that you can pull off your dis module and coil pack, bring them into autozone & they can test them for you for free. That's what I did. Also check your fuses in both fuse boxes to make sure all are good.

Damon,

I'm starting to think you are cursed. Hope it's something easy.

David

SERIOUSLY!!!!!

Dave the car ran so smooth to. The wierd thing is that I parked it then cam eback outside and no start a few goiurs later. If a balancer or crank sensor issue happened I figured while I was driving it would go,,,So for now Im going back later going to quickly swap a coil pack and DIS. If it doesnt start Im towing it home to diagnose. No wires rubbing, doesnt appear any plug terminals are corroded. There was no check engine lights when I parked it. AND I SWEAR...This one is DEFINITELY staying stock.

Update:

So I checked coil and DIS and they seem fine. Ended up towing car home. Checked all power distribution fuses all look fine. Was checking underdash fuses and for some reason with key on some dont have power.

ALSO..I dont recall how straight the main pulley generally is..But it isnt exactly wobbling but it isnt exactly perfectly spinning, seems slightly off....

I just find this all odd as the car was fine when I parked it..Im going to check signal from crank sensor next when I get a chance. Anyone know an easy way to do that?

Any chance its the ignition switch? The '90 I just bought had issues with some fuses powering up and others not. Found the bottom portion of ignition switch was hanging off. Zip tied it together and all fuses powered up with the key. Worth a shot.

Any chance its the ignition switch? The '90 I just bought had issues with some fuses powering up and others not. Found the bottom portion of ignition switch was hanging off. Zip tied it together and all fuses powered up with the key. Worth a shot.

Good thought.

Damon, what are some of the fuses that don't have power?

I dont recall which they were..But you know what. That makes sence. I didnt put two and two together. Why else would the fuses not be getting juice....With key on they should all be powered. Correct?

Any thoughts guys before I take a look this weekend. With key on a bunch of fuses had no power under dash. They should all have power correct? none were blown

I am having the same issue with my 89 sc 5spd i just bought drove it 3 times now it will not start just spins over i replaced coil and cam sensor and going to replace crank sensor . At frist i had no power to the coil i took the dis off checked it and cleaned it put it back on still no fire lol. My friend was not lieing when he said yhese cars are a guessing game still trying to figure it out . So i feel ur pain on that ..

Change the ignition switch yet? Or maybe the brake pedal when pressed while starting isn't setting off the anti-theft mode....

well pulled balancer looked fine, but swapped it out with a new one and a new crank sensor..WALLAHH started. Thanks to Chris V for moral support!

Back