tuning questions

steveos89xr7

So I am doing quite a bit of mods to my 89 cougar this winter and will be needing tune. now my question is do I need a chip? or is my computer tunable how it is? OBD1 or is it OBD2? thanks I advance

You will need a chip, the EEC itself is not flashable like the later ones. It is OBD1 or EEC IV.

Let me know when you are ready and I can set you up either with a plug and play chip or a user tunable chip (known here as the QH or Quarterhorse).

You will need a chip, the EEC itself is not flashable like the later ones. It is OBD1 or EEC IV.

Let me know when you are ready and I can set you up either with a plug and play chip or a user tunable chip (known here as the QH or Quarterhorse).

sounds good dave thanks. give me 2 months and I will be on the hunt ha! what kind of price we talking for one of these?

Moates makes the Quarterhorse chip that allows you to datalog and tune your own car (with necessary additional software and hardware, and licenses). list price today (1/14/2014)is $249.

If someone tunes your car, and you don't want to do it yourself, or use any data logging, there are cheaper chips, but then you have to pay for the guy to do the tuning.

Examples of additional stuff you might need.
Wide Band Oxygen Sensor and interface.
Binary Editor data logging software license.
Definition file for your EEC-IV processor.

Moates makes the Quarterhorse chip that allows you to datalog and tune your own car (with necessary additional software and hardware, and licenses). list price today (1/14/2014)is $249.

If someone tunes your car, and you don't want to do it yourself, or use any data logging, there are cheaper chips, but then you have to pay for the guy to do the tuning.

Examples of additional stuff you might need.
Wide Band Oxygen Sensor and interface.
Binary Editor data logging software license.
Definition file for your EEC-IV processor.

yeah I plan on having a shop tune it. I mean for obvious reasons experience and knowledge on tuning. I mean yeah that would be great to do it myself but after all the software and hardware I would imagine i would be paying about the same in the end IDK?

yeah I plan on having a shop tune it. I mean for obvious reasons experience and knowledge on tuning. I mean yeah that would be great to do it myself but after all the software and hardware I would imagine i would be paying about the same in the end IDK?

If you are doing one time modifications and then tuning for those modifications with no intention of changing things in the future, then having someone just tune the car is cheaper. (mostly you save buying the wideband and hooking it all up for datalogging)

If you see what you're doing as an iterative process that will span many years, then getting the stuff to do it yourself is a massive savings in the long run. Even if initially you have someone use the software to tune it for you, you always have the option to later make adjustments as you learn.

In addition, having the Quarterhorse, even if without the wideband on a car is a very useful diagnostic tool. It allows you to data log nearly everything going on in the computer. Making it much easier to identify mechanical issues with the engine, ignition, fueling and emissions systems.

If you are doing one time modifications and then tuning for those modifications with no intention of changing things in the future, then having someone just tune the car is cheaper. (mostly you save buying the wideband and hooking it all up for datalogging)

If you see what you're doing as an iterative process that will span many years, then getting the stuff to do it yourself is a massive savings in the long run. Even if initially you have someone use the software to tune it for you, you always have the option to later make adjustments as you learn.

In addition, having the Quarterhorse, even if without the wideband on a car is a very useful diagnostic tool. It allows you to data log nearly everything going on in the computer. Making it much easier to identify mechanical issues with the engine, ignition, fueling and emissions systems.

This is exactly why a lot of my customers have opted for the QH even though they have no intention of tuning themselves. With the QH they can send me a datalog and I can send them back a tune update in a matter of minutes. Remote tuning is also possible with WiFi.

thanks for the info guys helps a lot! talk to you in a couple of months when I have my car ready and I need to get my hands on a chip cant wait!

Back