moonroof question

Tommy Turbo

So I have a 94 SC, and every now and then the sunroof fails to respond. One day it would not open, and then today I opened it, no problems, but then when I went to close it, it refused. Waited a little while and tried it again and it closed fine. Seems like you have to wait a little bit and then it works.

Any ideas?

White grease the tracks/lifters and the gears in the motor assembly in the back of the roof...that cover just pops down.

it also may be dragging it's feet in winter weather and clipping an overheat circuit or one of the relays is getting ready to bail. You may be able to isolate by dropping the motor assembly with the wiring still connected then seeing if that part works properly.

Note that some later models have a two stage stop when opening that requires you to press the switch twice to get by.

I have noticed when opening it, it stops about 3/4 way open, and then if you hit the button again it goes all the way into the roof. When closing it always has closed all the way without having a second stop. I cleaned, lubbed, and adjusted the screws that hold the glass to the frame, as the glass panel was not lined up with the roof properly when I first got the car years ago. I've done the same thing on one of my SHO's. It's worked fine for a few years. Can you tell me more about where the relays are located for this? Doubt I am overheating it, I opened it, and 20 minutes later tried to close it with no luck. Tried the switch several times, no luck. restarted the car and drove a short distance, and tried it again, and it worked. The relays sound very likely.

I know of at least one at the motor - mine is red.

Pull the access panel down from the front first until the two plastic retainers release...it should come away freely after that.

I have noticed when opening it, it stops about 3/4 way open, and then if you hit the button again it goes all the way into the roof. When closing it always has closed all the way without having a second stop. I cleaned, lubbed, and adjusted the screws that hold the glass to the frame, as the glass panel was not lined up with the roof properly when I first got the car years ago. I've done the same thing on one of my SHO's. It's worked fine for a few years. Can you tell me more about where the relays are located for this? Doubt I am overheating it, I opened it, and 20 minutes later tried to close it with no luck. Tried the switch several times, no luck. restarted the car and drove a short distance, and tried it again, and it worked. The relays sound very likely.

My 90 did that and it was a timing issue, there is a timing mark when replacing and or removing and reinstalling the motor. I don't remember the exact steps.. Let me see if I can find that article.

RJ

How many miles on the car? Can you get your hands on another motor assembly to test?

Around 130K or so. No I do not have another to install, plus from my searching there is some procedure to set the timing, but I can't find a detailed service book type description.

This photo shows the trigger wheel and detents (later model assembly) when aligned for fully closed. The longer detent is at the blue trigger switch. The shorter detent on the other side is the interim/partially open stop. With the roof closed properly and the motor free with the connector installed, cycle it forward with the switch until it uses the longer detent, then bolt it back up in place.

Attachments

• SC_MoonroofMotor.jpg
    SC_MoonroofMotor.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 67
So I have a 94 SC, and every now and then the sunroof fails to respond. One day it would not open, and then today I opened it, no problems, but then when I went to close it, it refused. Waited a little while and tried it again and it closed fine. Seems like you have to wait a little bit and then it works.

Any ideas?

I have an 89 sc 120k miles. My sunroof doesnt work at all. I was going to start a new thread, but it seemed wise to expand upon this one instead since it's recent and active. Hope you don't mind the partial thread jack. If so I will edit my post.

Is there a common failure point? My sunroof is propped up at the moment(fun when it rains). Doesn't do anything when I press the switch. Doesnt seem like there's any power draw when I push the switch.

I think the switch mount is a common fail point. Pop the cover off and see if parts fall out. Remove the two screws and try to pull the connected rocker switch down without doing more damage.

Once you can see the wiring/harness/mount and switch, try to confirm everything is basically in place. If so, drop the rear cover for the motor assembly (pull down on the cover's leading edge only) then unbolt the assembly, but leave it wired up, then operate the switch to see if it wants to spin.

The fuse is the same for the power windows and trunk solenoid, so if they work that's not the problem :)

Back