boxed upper SC lower?

Which manifold would be best to use?

This manifold was milled open front to back, its pretty much wide open. Theres nothing to inhibit flow aside from turbulence as the air hits the back of the manifold where it tapers down. Not sure how much of a problem that would create

Which manifold would be best to use?

This manifold was milled open front to back, its pretty much wide open. Theres nothing to inhibit flow aside from turbulence as the air hits the back of the manifold where it tapers down. Not sure how much of a problem that would create

Mustang NA manifold. The runners are 6" long. I added a 1" solid alum block and ported it out to match the manifold. That gives me 7" long runners which you need to help on the low end side for TQ. The supercharge boys dont worry about runner length. For one there is no way to run the blower as it is and have longer runners and 2 they have no spooling up and shortage of TQ out of the hole. The longer runners should help my low end TQ and than the turbos will do what they do best, make power. Without the advantage of longer runners in your configuration I beleive your low end will suffer greatly. There is a ton of porting that can be done on the runners to add to its performance.

Ken

Attachments

• Welded intake.JPG
    Welded intake.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Welded intake 1.JPG
    Welded intake 1.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 104
  • upper intake finished a.JPG
    upper intake finished a.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Seems like a cool build.

I don't know anything about all that runner length, low end torque gobbly gook but the fabrication and initiative are great.

pic of it test fitted.

20140118_155514.jpg20140118_154825.jpg I forgot to show what it looks like mounted. The two black dots are where I need to drill tap and time sert the manifold for the throttle bracket. The throttle linkage is real close to the tensioner but not touching.

I think it will work, and it looks cool. It just may not be the best possible route. But it may not make a huge difference when all is said and done.

The supercharge boys dont worry about runner length. For one there is no way to run the blower as it is and have longer runners and 2 they have no spooling up and shortage of TQ out of the hole. The longer runners should help my low end TQ and than the turbos will do what they do best, make power. Without the advantage of longer runners in your configuration I beleive your low end will suffer greatly. There is a ton of porting that can be done on the runners to add to its performance.

Ken

Hey..........just run a big ol' stall converter and let her spool up on the line.............:D

Looks cool, but in addition to the loss of low end torque Ken mentioned, I think your bigger problem will be unequal air distribution to the cylinders. That's why most people use a 3.8 NA lower and fabricate the upper manifold. You won't really know how it works until you test it.

David

I was looking at it again this morning and was trying to figure out how you welded the front of the upper to the manifold. Looks to be no room for a Tig torch to access the area between the lower and the upper. Did you pressure test to see if it would leak under boost?

Ken

Back