Very expensive noise

Slysc

2 weeks ago I was drivin down the e-way and I heard this squeek squeek squeek that I thought was a belt or pulley or something. So I pulled over and poped the hood and it got worse and worse and it sounded like it was coming from my supercharger! Yikes! So I shut it down and towed it home.
I took the superchager apart and couldn't find anything wrong with it so I cleaned and greased the bearings and put it back together. Started it back up today and the same noise started. If you've ever heard a bridgeport mill taking too much metal off a piece of something, that's what it sounds like. squawk squawk squawk!
So I took all the belts off the engine and started it and it was still doing it! Double yikes! It's got to be coming from my cam. In a couple hours after the coolant drains, I'll take off the intake and find out what's up. Just put new Comp Cams hydraulic roller lifters in it. I bet in has something to do with that. I hope I didn't trash my cam. :confused: :confused:

not my cam

I took the intake off and turned the engine over. Looks like my cam and lifters are working properly and there's no marring or anything. Hmmm..? Maybe it's a piston. :confused: I can't get it to make the noise by just turning it over. But it sure was howling when it starts up. When it gets real loud it will stop the motor. Like there's some kind of resistance. Yea, .. I bet it's a piston. Guess I'll go to the classifieds forum and look for a new block.:mad:

dude check the cam tensioners

My 3.8 na did this it was the tensioners broken and caught between cover and chain.

Bearings????

You may have spun a bearing, you did remove the belts and it was still there, so it has to be inside the engine.... Is does not sound good, but fear not there is a 95 long block ready for you to put in... Give me a call and we can deal if you need it. My phone is 414-425-4710 and I am in Milwaukee,Wisc. so that's only a few hours drive and you can be up and running before the snow flys....Rich

longblock.

I'll pull the engine and see what's up. The noise cycles like a piston going up and down. It's not a constant sqeeeeeeeeeeeek, it's more of a squawk, squawk, squawk, squawk. That's why I originally thought it was the blower rotors rubbing against eachother. I've put a lot of time and money into my heads so I probably wouldn't want a long block, a short block is probably more like it. I may take the oppurtunity to put in some tricked out connecting rods.
BTW - what's the specs on the rods? length? and crank journal diameter?

You got the spacer ring on the cam before the key, right ? otherwise, the cam assembly is clamping on the thrust plate.

I have a 96 3.8 and have what sounds to be the same problem. I'm thinking the noise may be from the cam stator because i'm getting a 340 code and the cam sensor is new. The noise goes away on mine after the car heats up. Anybody have more ideas?

noise

My noise starts quiet as the car is idleing and gets louder and more violent as the car heats up until it will stop the crank from turning. I'll let you know when I find the prob.

Back