Help a Newb with some abbreviations and Computer issues

jjklongisland

So can someone explain to me the difference between the cars computer, ECM and ECU. Are they all the same? It seems like people refer to the computer as one or both of these abbreviations. That being said I went to look for my 4 digit code and wow, it looks like a real P.I.T.A. to get it out. Is there an easy way to do this? I took off the glove box and felt defeated. I am thinking of just hard wiring my fan to a switch instead of changing out the computer (which is the last piece to the non-functioning fan question). Does anybody have some advice

ECM or ecu, same thing, stands for engine control module or unit. Before pulling it to check the code, look under the hood on the passenger side shock tower, from the factory there is a sticker there that has the catch code, so as long as it hasn't been removed, that will save you time. If that isn't there, You should be able to just barely see the catch code without removing the ECM.

ECM or ecu, same thing, stands for engine control module or unit. Before pulling it to check the code, look under the hood on the passenger side shock tower, from the factory there is a sticker there that has the catch code, so as long as it hasn't been removed, that will save you time. If that isn't there, You should be able to just barely see the catch code without removing the ECM.

OK thanks, and barely must be an understatement cause that thing is jammed in there... lol... Last thing... What is the best way to remove it? Do I need to take the dash off. There are so many harnesses below it and they are so stiff.

One of those harnesses has to be removed to get the computer out. Should be a 10mm bolt holding it to the computer. From there just unplug the other harnesses that will allow you to pull the computer out. One last bolt to remove in the plastic piece that secures the computer. If you think the tbird is bad try a mustang. No way to see what you are doing there. At least with the bird you can drop the glove box to see what you are doing.

my code was on the back side of the connector. I had to remove the ecu to find it. THere is a bolt securing the main harness to the ecu. there is a white plastic part holding the ecu in place. it has a bolt securing it. should be home free after that.

mustang and supercoupe is cake, yank off the kick panel, disconnect the connectors there, remove the 8mm retaining bolt (stang) and the 7/32 bolt on the plastic housing, yank the ecu down and unbolt the 10mm connector bolt, takes all of 3 minutes /done

now whats a pain in the testicles is yanking the ecu on a lightning or explorer, major ordeal

Not super hard to do.. but here's my tips. Take the glove box off. Take off the colored kick panel and the panel underneath it. Get some lighting so you can see what you're doing. Then unbolt the EEC connector (10mm). Unbolt the screw holding the white plastic bracket in place. Lift the arm and slide the EEC down and out. If you really can't see whats in there.. pull out the upper plastic panel. You'll have to kind of work it around.. don't just yank it out.. It has one of those plastic push fasteners near the top.. look for it.

Not super hard to do.. but here's my tips. Take the glove box off. Take off the colored kick panel and the panel underneath it. Get some lighting so you can see what you're doing. Then unbolt the EEC connector (10mm). Unbolt the screw holding the white plastic bracket in place. Lift the arm and slide the EEC down and out. If you really can't see whats in there.. pull out the upper plastic panel. You'll have to kind of work it around.. don't just yank it out.. It has one of those plastic push fasteners near the top.. look for it.

Thanks guys... I guess to me it just looks real intimidating because of the maze of harnesses in front of it as well as the awkwardness of where it is located. I guess the cold was getting to me since I gave up so quickly... I will try once the snow melts...

I took mine out like 5 years ago and it has been laying on my floor ever since.. Just couldnt deal with the hassle of trying to wedge it back up there ;)

Back