PDA

View Full Version : ARC ride control question

figulaz
01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
It seems my rears shocks are stuck on firm or super firm. If i go over a speed bump the front is normal civilized...I roll over the back and is as if the suspension was fixed solid. the fronts seem fine in firm but I switch to auto and they seem blown. I'm looking for ideas where to start. My old man drives it and just wants to switch to standard shocks...I kind of like the feature. again just looking for ideas. realistically this is a daily driver.

davec73
01-21-2014, 12:29 PM
the fronts are probably blown. The tokico illumina shocks are pretty pricey and hard to find. Driving it daily I would just put kybs or monroes on it.

Mike8675309
01-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately, options are very limited to retain the stock style adjustable shocks. Nothing new is being made nor has it been for quite some time. anything you find will be used or new old stock. Your best bet is to just replace them all with standard shocks. You may be able to sell your rear stock shocks that still seem to work for some money to take the bite out of the new shock cost.

S_Mazza
01-21-2014, 04:14 PM
New adjustable Tokicos are supposed to be back on the market in a month or so. But I haven't seen them yet.

figulaz
01-22-2014, 12:00 AM
I was hoping it was something like my the ARC needs to be set to some default or I could set it manually. The tokicos are 5 way adjustable correct?? Does the ARC move between all those positions? I thought our system was either cranked on or off. Firm ride feels like its on rails but the super stiff rear is too much.

RalphP
01-22-2014, 12:14 AM
The Illumina IIs for our cars are two-way only, and drop right in.

This shouldn't be a surprise, Tokiko was the OEM for Ford for the ARC shocks.

Good news - the American distributor is starting to catch up on back orders now!

Bad news - the American distributor is wholesale-only, so ...

RwP

S_Mazza
01-22-2014, 12:44 AM
I was hoping it was something like my the ARC needs to be set to some default or I could set it manually. The tokicos are 5 way adjustable correct?? Does the ARC move between all those positions? I thought our system was either cranked on or off. Firm ride feels like its on rails but the super stiff rear is too much.

The Tokicos are just 2-way adjustable. They are 90% off from each other. I don't think it's possible to set them up wrong on the user's end.

figulaz
01-23-2014, 09:34 PM
I saw Sachs super touring available at autozone for lo line birds. Any have experience with these? I associate sachs with German performance. It's between Sachs and KYB any thoughts?

RalphP
01-24-2014, 10:05 AM
KYBs ride nice on these - try the SACHS and see how they ride.

The main problem is that both are tuned for LX/LS springs, not for SC/XR7 springs, so they won't quite perfectly match the rebound rates.

IDEALLY we'd be picking some LX springs up out of the boneyard and having those assembled to the front shocks, to keep the spring rate and valving matched.

Practically - well, try the SACHS and let us know how they ride :p

RwP

figulaz
01-24-2014, 12:10 PM
The local Pick-Your-Part is having a 1/2 off sale a couple days next month. I might grab some springs. Let you know how it goes

DougH9
01-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Tokico's are out there you just need to search for them, I found a whole set matched with lowering springs, the Illuminas. Nice white shocks with red springs. Brand spankin new.
They seemed pretty brand new to me and delivered for under $450. I mean they were brand new, what is going on everyone talks about them like they are parts from a model T. Speaking of model T did u know thats were Kingsford charcoal came from, some King guy and Ford from all the scrap making wooden wheels.

Your solid rear end is can not be fixed with the adjustability of the arc system, the shocks are either shot or there is some kind of linkage issue back there in the rear area.

TbirdSCFan
01-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Tokico's are out there you just need to search for them, I found a whole set matched with lowering springs, the Illuminas. Nice white shocks with red springs. Brand spankin new. How long ago and where pray tell? :rolleyes: I have the ILK222 kit but that was from 4-5 years ago.

figulaz
01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm going the standard set up route. If availability comes around and i care enough to switch and I have $$ I'll get tokicos...in the mean time check the rear shocks on rock auto....two different motorcraft part numbers anyone know the difference....http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1140444,parttype,7556 guess which ones I want? 2 el cheapos please :D

racecougar
01-29-2014, 12:09 AM
How long ago and where pray tell? :rolleyes:

They do pop up from time to time. I bought a new pair of Illumina II's back in October from www.importrp.com (they don't have any more). Scour the internet enough though and I'm sure you can still turn up a new set on somebody's shelf.

figulaz
01-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Anything else besides shocks I should order? What I mean is what should I change while I'm at it? (don't say everything!!) I know you can't diagnose a suspension on a forum but should I order some known fail parts or this car while I have it riding jackstands?

Jacob_Royer
01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Monroe shocks ftw!

racecougar
01-29-2014, 09:07 PM
Anything else besides shocks I should order? What I mean is what should I change while I'm at it? (don't say everything!!) I know you can't diagnose a suspension on a forum but should I order some known fail parts or this car while I have it riding jackstands?

I'd advise getting it up in the air and inspecting everything before placing your order. Check the endlinks, tie rod ends, inner tie rods, rack, inner upper control arm bushings, strut rod bushings, upper and lower balljoints, wheel bearings, etc.