ABS Light & Brake Light Come on While Braking(PROBLEM SOLVED)

Xounlistedxox

Every time I brake the brake light briefly comes on, then the abs light. The quickly blink on then off. The brakes feel good under normal braking, but if I have to hit the brakes hard the pedal effort increases quite a bit. One time the driver side rear locked up.

I have researched this issue on here and elsewhere. From what I have found everyone says this is most likely the brake accumulator that is about the size of a softball right by the master cylinder. Do any of you guys have experience with this problem?

If it is the accumulator can I change it without having to bleed the braking system? I've already bled the entire system, so I was hoping to not have to do it again.

Thanks,
Brandon

Update
On the recommendation of kmt & others I ordered a new brake accumulator ball from spinning wheels sc. I installed it today. This greatly improved braking and made my brake/abs warning lights go away.

Last edited:
I'll second what KMT posted....

Flickering brake and ABS lights mean that the accumulator is going bad.....

Replace it ASAP.....

Speak of the devil... I've been waiting for Victor to get accumulators in, and mine showed up today around noon. ** Be sure to use the right diameter o-ring...I had to replace the one that came with the new one to a smaller/correct fit. **

I've been getting by with used accumulators for some time now, swapping them out when the lights came on too often, and for a while now, they'd pop on the 2nd pedal push.

The new accumulator is in and no more lights when braking, even with multiple pushes on the pedal. Nice.....

Last edited:
Speak of the devil... I've been waiting for Victor to get accumulators in, and mine showed up today around noon.

I've been getting by with used accumulators for some time now, swapping them out when the lights came on too often, and for a while now, they'd pop on the 2nd pedal push.

The new accumulator is in and no more lights when braking, even with multiple pushes on the pedal. Nice.....

Do you also get better pedal feel?

It wasn't that bad before. I run KVR's semi-metallic carbon fibre kevlar backed pads, black anodized slotted/drilled rotors and stainless braided brake lines.

This is the first time I've had a fresh accumulator to judge, tho, and I've only gone around the block so far so I'll have to get back to you about any difference in feel.

Speak of the devil... I've been waiting for Victor to get accumulators in, and mine showed up today around noon.

Bingo. Same here.. New accums on the way from Victor & co.

It wasn't that bad before. I run KVR's semi-metallic carbon fibre kevlar backed pads, black anodized slotted/drilled rotors and stainless braided brake lines.

This is the first time I've had a fresh accumulator to judge, tho, and I've only gone around the block so far so I'll have to get back to you about any difference in feel.

Well, at least I have a very good idea what the problem is. Those are the only lights left on my dash that bug me constantly.

Not half as annoying as the total lack of brake assist that will soon materialize if the present problem goes uncorrected. :D

I had one used accumulator do that to me. Not a good feeling.

I put 10 miles on the new one, and the pedal feels slightly more crisp than before, esp. on repeated press.

I had one used accumulator do that to me. Not a good feeling.

I put 10 miles on the new one, and the pedal feels slightly more crisp than before, esp. on repeated press.

Yeah, not at all. Repeated braking, or even a single stab greatly increases my pedal effort.

If the lights don't go off, I would advise NOT driving it at all. Or very very slowly and with the parking brake at the ready.

After reading this along with other posts I'm not sure what's wrong with mine. My pedal is sorta stiff.. I do have ABS and it works, but if I hold on the pedal hard the lights will flash. I also noticed that my rears don't seem to be working well. I am going to mess with the rear calipers and push them back in to see if that helps any.

After reading this along with other posts I'm not sure what's wrong with mine. My pedal is sorta stiff.. I do have ABS and it works, but if I hold on the pedal hard the lights will flash. I also noticed that my rears don't seem to be working well. I am going to mess with the rear calipers and push them back in to see if that helps any.

This sounds exactly like what's happening to me except the rear not working. My rear brakes will lock up if I hit the brakes too hard. I'm going to order the accumulator soon. I can't wait until all this stuff is fixed so I can just enjoy the car

Your problem could be the accumulator, or it might be something else.....

Don't waste your time with the rear calipers just yet, you need to trouble shoot the system first....

Open the hood and locate the ABS pump motor, it will be under the master cylinder...

Have someone turn the ignition on, but do not start the engine.....

Listen for the pump motor to turn on.....

Notice how long it runs before shutting off...

Once it does shut off, have your assistant apply the brakes a few times.....

How many pumps of the brake pedal does it take to make the pump motor come on....

Let me know what you find and we can proceed from there....

Your problem could be the accumulator, or it might be something else.....

Don't waste your time with the rear calipers just yet, you need to trouble shoot the system first....

Open the hood and locate the ABS pump motor, it will be under the master cylinder...

Have someone turn the ignition on, but do not start the engine.....

Listen for the pump motor to turn on.....

Notice how long it runs before shutting off...

Once it does shut off, have your assistant apply the brakes a few times.....

How many pumps of the brake pedal does it take to make the pump motor come on....

Let me know what you find and we can proceed from there....

When I do thisnthenpump comes on about every other pedal push

Back