flywheel and clutch compatibility

quatrini

I have an early model sc engine that will be going into an 00 Mustang with a T5 transmission. A member here is selling a flywheel and clutch from what I believe to be a late model sc, although I haven't verified it yet. I'm wondering is the late model flywheel compatible with an early model sc engine? And if so, will the late model clutch bolt up properly? Just wondering what the differences are so I can figure it out.

I have an early model sc engine that will be going into an 00 Mustang with a T5 transmission. A member here is selling a flywheel and clutch from what I believe to be a late model sc, although I haven't verified it yet. I'm wondering is the late model flywheel compatible with an early model sc engine? And if so, will the late model clutch bolt up properly? Just wondering what the differences are so I can figure it out.

Q: How early is early?
The first 89 SCs had an externally balanced engine (28oz IIRC). This is noticeable if you see a harmonic balancer behind the crank pulley on the early model engine

After mid 89 (or 90, i forget), they went with neutral balanced engines.
A late model flywheel will definitely be neutrally balanced.
You don't want to use a neutrally balanced flywheel with an externally imbalanced engine.

-g

Q: How early is early?
The first 89 SCs had an externally balanced engine (28oz IIRC). This is noticeable if you see a harmonic balancer behind the crank pulley on the early model engine

After mid 89 (or 90, i forget), they went with neutral balanced engines.
A late model flywheel will definitely be neutrally balanced.
You don't want to use a neutrally balanced flywheel with an externally imbalanced engine.

-g

Are you saying that after 90 they have no harmonic balancers?

I believe my engine is from a 92, and I thought the flywheel and clutch were from a 94-95. He says they are in fact an early model style, so now I will find out whether his is externally balanced or neutrally balanced. I do have a harmonic balancer separate to my crank pulley. I will check the castings on the block to verify the year of the engine I purchased.

Are you saying that after 90 they have no harmonic balancers?

I'm saying that its different on externally balanced engines vs. the 0 balance ones. The first 89SCs will have the same looking harmonic balancers as the 3.8L N/A tbirds.

Confirmation that the change was mid-89.
OP - since your engine was from 92, it's going to be a neutrally balanced engine so a late model flywheel should work (no balance issues).
http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php?p=1432286&postcount=10

BTW, this thread says to match the clutch to your flywheel.
If you have a 94-95 flywheel, use a 94-95 clutch as the sized changed.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93182

Thank you very much for the quick responses and information. I would of searched first but I use my cell phone internet 99% of the time and the search feature is a pain. One more thing, is a spec stage 2 clutch enough holding capacity for an sc running 15% over drive on a ported late model sc, with an fmic and cam? Don't plan on making huge numbers but maybe somewhere in the ball park of 450 tq at the crank.

The late model flywheel will work on the early model engine as long as you use the matching late model clutch, however you said you are using a T5 trans, and neither the early nor late SC flywheels or clutches will work with your trans. A regular v6 mustang flywheel won't work either because it has a 28oz imbalance. A 5.0 mustang flywheel also has the wrong imbalance, but does share the same bolt pattern to the crank as the 3.8. Some of the aftermarket flywheels come neutral balanced with different weights you can add for either 28 or 50 os imbalance, so my reccomendation would be to get an aftermarket flywheel for a 5.0 mustang with a T5, and leave the weights off to keep the neutral balance to match your sc engine.

I was told both the clutch from the mustang and thunderbird are the same spline count. Worst case scenario, I can use a 96-98 mustang v6 flywheel and clutch. The 96-98 was neutral balance and of course is the same bolt pattern.
I've done hundreds of hours of research on this swap. As far as I know I'm told the sc clutch mates up to the t5 trans perfectly fine.
I'll double check before I buy.

A sc flywheel and clutch will fit the mustang t-5 same spline count. As far as I know the sc flywheels are all the same just the disk got .5 large, not 100% positive on that. I have had a sc motor in my 94 stang for about 16 years and most of that with the t-5. Clutch is the least of your problems the trans will destroy itself in short time. I liked my centerforce stage 1 clutch a lot and it held over 400 tq with 3.27 rear gears

My understanding was that the SC flywheel was larger than the T5 flywheel, and would create problems with the starter not engaging properly.

Back