5 Speed Transmission '95 SC

redchief

Had the tranny on my '95 SC repaired about 6 months ago but when picked up and driven, it chatters some especially in reverse. Once it warms up, it chatters going forward, hardly any when it is cold. The flywheel was machined and the clutch plate was replaced and adjusted. Mechanic said that's as good as it's going to get. I also own an '88 Turbo Coupe and that sucker is as smooth as can be. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem? :confused:

It chatters on the takeoff, when I pull out the clutch and accelerate, both in reverse and on first gear. I called the mechanic that worked on it 6 months ago and I explained the problem, he said it might be a U-Joint. I just don't want to end up with a hefty repair bill.

Thank you!

Had the tranny on my '95 SC repaired about 6 months ago but when picked up and driven, it chatters some especially in reverse. Once it warms up, it chatters going forward, hardly any when it is cold. The flywheel was machined and the clutch plate was replaced and adjusted. Mechanic said that's as good as it's going to get. I also own an '88 Turbo Coupe and that sucker is as smooth as can be. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem? :confused:

More descriptions are necessary.

When you say chatters in reverse. Do you mean your foot is off the clutch and the car is moving but you hear chatter? Or are you describing a problem when transitioning off the clutch pedal?

When you say the flywheel was machined and the clutch plate was replaced and adjusted, what precisely do you mean? Machining of the flywheel is likely to require shims to be installed behind the slave cylinder. Where shims installed? Do you know how much shim was installed?

Chatter when under power with your foot off the clutch pedal indicates slip occurring. This can be due to contamination of the clutch disk or pressure plate surface or flywheel surface. This can also be due to mechanical problems in the clutch/pressure plate combination.

If a U-joint was bad the car would have a terrible vibration when driving. I think you've got a crappy clutch/pressure plate combo. I had a '65 Mustang that did that and it was just a poor quality clutch. It may smooth out a little over time but it will probably always chatter. Like Ricardo asked, what clutch did you use?

I am not sure what kind of clutch it is. I will find out more information and post soon. Thank you.

Back