PDA

View Full Version : SC Makeover

Slater85
02-02-2014, 12:19 AM
Wasn't planning on doing a build thread at first since I'm not trying to build a show car. But since I browsed through a bunch of threads and got different ideas from guys on here on what they did to their SC's which helped me out with my project, i might as well contribute maybe someone might like the route I take.

My car is Black on Black, so I thought I might as well Black out the engine as well with some chrome and some blue here and there. I set aside some money to do this but I blew through that budget alllloooonnnggg time ago! Once you start taking these apart and putting things back together you just keep finding little details to do which most of the time cost $$$.

I rebuilt the motor a few years back and had a bunch of plans for Tb, maf, MPx, FMIC, but ran out of money very quickly. So I was only able to build the bottom end and told myself I was gonna finish the top at a later date. Recently I snapped a few pics of my motor with a Polished engine cap, and I thought it looked horrible so i decided to powder coat/chrome a few parts but thought about it and didnt want to waste my time/money re-finishing the stock parts. This basically gave me the push to order some performance parts and finish off the top end like I originally planned plus dressing up my motor along the way.

I forgot to take a pic of the whole engine before but these two can kind of give you an idea of how it looked before.

Pulled the Supercharger assembly off, the original powder coating was already faded and peeling off. I've had a 94/95 waiting to be ported and rebuilt for awhile now, so that's whats going back on.

pretty dirty and greasy. I personally thought it looked worse in person.

Slater85
02-03-2014, 05:35 PM

also decided to touch up the engine bay.

XxSlowpokexX
02-03-2014, 06:55 PM
any after yet?:D

Slater85
02-06-2014, 12:04 AM
any after yet?:D

I wish, i've been on this project for months and I keep finding things that need to be replaced or re-finished.

Blower and plenums freshly powder coated, also doing a full rebuild on it, bearings, seals, oil.

Chrome valve covers, some brackets and a fuel rail. Going to rebuild the fuel lines using the aeroquip hose.

Fastest way to blow through your budget, buy ARP bolts. Great stuff but all the bolts start to add up quick!

KMT
02-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Love those bolts, but I stopped buying more after using them on just the pulleys :) So tempting during a rebuild tho...

figulaz
02-06-2014, 01:07 AM
Wow. Looking nice! Chrome.powder coat and your trim pieces . What are doing with the accessory brackets?

Slater85
02-06-2014, 01:27 AM
Wow. Looking nice! Chrome.powder coat and your trim pieces . What are doing with the accessory brackets?

Originally I only powder coated the accessory bracket on the power steering side and I was gonna spray paint the a/c side because I didn't want to ruin the jackshaft bearing. But my biggest score of this build was sourcing an original NSK bearing so I popped the old one out and that bracket is getting powder coated. I'm looking forward to seeing the brackets bolted to the front of the motor with all ARP bolts.

figulaz
02-06-2014, 11:06 AM
cool. you do your own powdercoating as well?

BLOWN38
02-06-2014, 11:18 AM
I have some pieces already cut I'd sell you for the fuel rail rebuild.

The refinishes look great.

Slater85
02-06-2014, 01:54 PM
cool. you do your own powdercoating as well?

no i sent everything out. I only do machining at my shop, we have companies for chemical stripping, polishers, chromers, and powder coaters we use on a regular basis. I like to leave it to the professionals the finish comes out top notch.

Slater85
02-06-2014, 01:56 PM
I have some pieces already cut I'd sell you for the fuel rail rebuild.

The refinishes look great.

Thanks for the offer but I had already picked up a couple feet off ebay a couple months ago.

Nettlesd
02-06-2014, 03:03 PM
I had both of my accessory brackets chromed. Don't have a current picture of my engine bay but maybe someone else will.

Slater85
02-06-2014, 03:25 PM
I had both of my accessory brackets chromed. Don't have a current picture of my engine bay but maybe someone else will.

WOW! Duane, very impressive!

Nettlesd
02-06-2014, 09:30 PM
WOW! Duane, very impressive!

Thanks. I think that is my latest picture with the chrome brackets. I need to pick up a chrome A/C unit to make it look right.

Yo, Greg, I need more billet items. :)

Slater85
02-09-2014, 05:25 PM
made some headway this weekend and got the fuel rail rebuilt, bolted on and swapped out the valve covers.

Got the supercharger put back together.

While I wait for the rest of my chrome/powdercoat and half the motor is missing I'll be switching out the plugs to the autolite 103's, probably going to be the easiest spark plug change ever.

Quick question for anybody, I put brand new lower intake bolts when I rebuilt the motor and torqued them to the haynes manual. Everything is still tight. If I wanted to change out those bolts to ARP bolts how should I do that? or just leave them alone? Should I do one at a time, all at the same time, leave the gaskets or replace them?

nickleman60
02-09-2014, 06:00 PM

That thing is too clean and shiny.................:D

Duane, have you ever sprayed that nitrous system or is it just for looks?............:o:o:o

BLOWN38
02-09-2014, 06:38 PM
I'd just replace one bolt at a time. Then once you have them all switched go back around in proper sequence and torque them a couple more times.

But if you are just doing it to be pretty... you can't see them so I wouldn't worry about it.

Scott Long
02-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Duane your engine makes me feel really patriotic!

Nettlesd
02-10-2014, 06:32 PM
That thing is too clean and shiny.................:D

Duane, have you ever sprayed that nitrous system or is it just for looks?............:o:o:o

I did at a KC meet we had back in the day. I don't see it in my signature anymore but there was a reason I had "20 sec club" in it. I actually went slower running it. :(

Scott Long
02-10-2014, 06:34 PM
tires spinning or something not setup right?

KMT
02-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Any weekend progress shots this week? I'm anxious to see all those new bolts :)

Slater85
02-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Any weekend progress shots this week? I'm anxious to see all those new bolts :)

Didn't get much bolted on the motor yet since im still waiting for some pieces to come back from the chromer (dipstick, heater hose tubes, tensioners ) i was able to grind the letters on my SC top and intercooler pipe nd get the assembly bolted up though

KMT
02-10-2014, 11:24 PM
I'm using allens on my sc top, but after seeing those shots, I think I'll try ARPs, now.

Slater85
02-12-2014, 05:05 PM
I'd just replace one bolt at a time. Then once you have them all switched go back around in proper sequence and torque them a couple more times.

But if you are just doing it to be pretty... you can't see them so I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah I guess ill just leave them alone, I've had no issues so far, why mess that up.

Nettlesd
02-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Very nice. I like that black.

kenewagner
02-12-2014, 10:18 PM

Duane has one of the nicest engine bays in the club. Its outstanding. A suggestion I have is to make a cover for the DIS module. It is so ugly. I always cover mine. Also I started replacing almost every bolt under the hood with SS socket head or button head bolts. A nice engine bay kind of evolves over time:D

Ken

decipha
02-12-2014, 10:26 PM
if i was to take my time to refinish everything like that then NOTHING would get done

...looks excellent!! keep up the good work

Slater85
02-12-2014, 10:43 PM
if i was to take my time to refinish everything like that then NOTHING would get done

...looks excellent!! keep up the good work

truth. I've been waiting for my water temp housing and some heater hose tubes from chrome, another weekend I wont be able to work on my car.

David Neibert
02-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Quick question for anybody, I put brand new lower intake bolts when I rebuilt the motor and torqued them to the haynes manual. Everything is still tight. If I wanted to change out those bolts to ARP bolts how should I do that? or just leave them alone? Should I do one at a time, all at the same time, leave the gaskets or replace them?

Changing the bolts one at at time and torquing to the final number should be okay and won't break the seal on existing gaskets. BTW, what was the final ft. # torque number in your manual ? Asking because some of the manuals said to torque intake bolts to something real low like 11 or 12 ft. lbs, and most people aren't comfortable with that and use the 3.8 NA specs of something like 22 ft lbs.

David

Slater85
02-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Changing the bolts one at at time and torquing to the final number should be okay and won't break the seal on existing gaskets. BTW, what was the final ft. # torque number in your manual ? Asking because some of the manuals said to torque intake bolts to something real low like 11 or 12 ft. lbs, and most people aren't comfortable with that and use the 3.8 NA specs of something like 22 ft lbs.

David

manual says step 1: 8lbs step 2: 11lbs. I added a step 3: 17lbs which was halfway between the sc and NA of 24lbs.

Micahdogg
02-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Don't go under 15, they will loosen up and you'll start drinking coolant. Last time I went "by the book," the lower intake was so loose that you could remove half the bolts by hand. I always go 25-30 ft-lbs now.

joenintiesc
02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Didn't get much bolted on the motor yet since im still waiting for some pieces to come back from the chromer (dipstick, heater hose tubes, tensioners ) i was able to grind the letters on my SC top and intercooler pipe nd get the assembly bolted up though

That looks amazing!

Slater85
03-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Got some parts in that can finally let me put this motor back together and start burning rubber soon!

Nettlesd
03-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Those look awesome!

Micahdogg
03-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I second that. Nice job on the coolant lines in particular.

Slater85
03-10-2014, 05:48 PM
I was debating trying one of those stainless braided sleeve kits but I didnt want them to look cheesy, but for 35 bucks on ebay I decided if I didn't like them i would toss it. I think it looks ok so im probably going to leave it.

I knew from the beginning the radiator was going to bother me but a griffin is not in my budget right now, maybe in a month or so, but the water pump is screaming for me to rip it off and polish or chrome it. I'd even spray paint it just so it would look better.

But I'll re-finish the pump when I do the Griffin. Here's some pics of my progress:

1FSTBRD
03-10-2014, 09:12 PM
That's deadly looking. I especially like the look of the gloss black supercharger top and the intercooler tube, with the polished metal look. There's a lot of time and money invested there. At a car show, i'd be drooling all over that, for sure. The stock SC engines look pretty drab. I'd pretty much just finished the underhood visual stuff with my Mustang and have been thinking of ideas in which to spruce up the underhood look of my SC.

How did you get the spanner nut back on (that is what the term is for the fastener from the sc top to the IC tube, right)? Did you have to buy the tool or did you find another way to get it on without chipping the paint?

Slater85
03-11-2014, 10:24 PM
How did you get the spanner nut back on (that is what the term is for the fastener from the sc top to the IC tube, right)? Did you have to buy the tool or did you find another way to get it on without chipping the paint?

I cheated on the collar nut, I was able to take apart my IC tubes no problem but the top gave me hell. I ended up just attaching the IC tube to the top and tightened it up a bit, then had it powder coated as one unit. Worked out perfect because all the threads were covered up, and when i unscrewed it nothing chipped or flaked.

Slater85
03-20-2014, 12:41 AM
More parts in... My plan was to run aluminum pulleys but buying them is not in my budget, so I'll run chrome stocks, I think they look killer until I can find some time to make some custom billet ones, something different than what's offered. The only one I didn't chrome was the supercharger pulley because that one I definitely need to make, not trying to step on any vendors toes, I think their price for pulleys are extremely fair for the small t-bird market. I just have a quick change design in mind so I can play around with the overdrive, maybe with different color anodize and finishes.

David Neibert
03-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Love all that chrome !!

Can't wait to see what you do with the brake fluid reservoir.

David

davec73
03-20-2014, 10:03 PM
looks great!

jjklongisland
03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Looking sick... I hope I get to see this one day in person...

OxmanWI
03-20-2014, 11:11 PM
Wow nice job, I love it. Black and chrome is a soft spot for me on these cars. Keep up the good work! :)

Tony8470
03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Which stainless braid coolant hose kit did you get? I've been trying for awhile to find the right size.

Plat0ribs
03-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Everything looks great!

I'd be very interested in your Adjust-a-boost pully sets if you decide to make extra sets.

I'd also like to sign up for your next set of door sills whenever you get around to running another set.

Great engine bay workup.

XxSlowpokexX
03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
looks great!!!!

Thomas A
03-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Subscribing....

lube70
03-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Did you acutally chrome them or have them powdercoated chrome? love the look and want to do mine but not sure what route to go....

Nettlesd
03-27-2014, 09:24 PM
The pieces Greg has shown are chrome.

Slater85
07-09-2014, 01:20 AM
I wish I could change this thread title to SC makeover since I'm gonna go through the whole car not just the engine. Anyways got my hands on some new autometers for the bird, this kind of gave me a second wind to finish her off.

I actually picked up a set of 18" Chrome Roush wheels a couple years ago for my SC. First thing I did was strip the perfect chrome off lol. Then I forgot about the wheels until now. I decided if I'm going to get the bird running in the next couple of weeks I want to roll in style. So I'll be sending two of these out to get shortened since they're all 18x10", powder coat them all black and re-engrave the Roush logo plus some extra cuts so they have the contrast look like my door sills.

David Neibert
07-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I wish I could change this thread title to SC makeover since I'm gonna go through the whole car not just the engine.

Fixed it for you. BTW, you can change the title and do other things with your post by using the "Go Advanced" tab that shows up beneath the text box when you are in the Edit mode.

David

Slater85
07-23-2014, 08:40 PM
I have bigger things to do to my car like switching out the fuel pump and wiring up my gauges but I keep getting stuck on the little things. The little plastic cap cracked on my coolant fill tube thing so I made a couple quick ones and polished it out, probably send it out and the plug to get plated. I made a couple extra to engrave on, but i'm really liking the plain shiny look!

Jimmy 2Coupes
07-23-2014, 09:16 PM
I have bigger things to do to my car like switching out the fuel pump and wiring up my gauges but I keep getting stuck on the little things. The little plastic cap cracked on my coolant fill tube thing so I made a couple quick ones and polished it out, probably send it out and the plug to get plated. I made a couple extra to engrave on, but i'm really liking the plain shiny look!

I like.:D:D