headlight switch replacement

c101guy

Help,

I'm trying to replace the headlight switch on my 90 SC. I have searched posts and seen helpful hints, but I am stuck. I have removed the dash face screws, pried the headlight switch knob off (not easy), and worked most of the retaining clips loose, but now I can't release the bottom because of the steering column cover. I thought I would remove that, but I find three recessed screws on the bottom side and no obvious separation between both halves of the cover. It doesn't seem to want to separate AND theres a collar trim piece on the backside of the steering wheel that I cannot seem to remove (I am afraid I am going to break something).

Any insight on how to get the dash face off without disassembling half the car - and what is the trick for removing the steering column cover in case I need to get to the multifunction switch?

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate the insight.

There are three phillips head screws that hold the steering column upper and lower bezel halves together. One on the left two on the right. They all come out the bottom and they are a bit long, so keep turning and hope they all fall out when loose.

The two pieces should pop apart, but you may have to tilt the steering wheel max in either direction to get not, then the other. Reverse the procedure to reinstall, making sure the two pieces are snapped together correctly before replacing the three screws.

With those out of the way, the cluster surround can be pulled far enough out to get access to the connector on the auto lamp switch, if present, then you can remove the surround completely. Once it is out, you can see the headlight switch. Remove the retaining nut and connectors and puzzle the switch out.

By the way, there is a small metal release tab on the clip that holds the headlight switch knob onto the shaft - the trick is to pull out, then rotate and look for a small slit, then push out with a thin probe on that tab until the knob is free. That, or pull like I think you did, but be sure the tab isn't bent before reinstalling.

Good luck.

Thanks

There are three phillips head screws that hold the steering column upper and lower bezel halves together. One on the left two on the right. They all come out the bottom and they are a bit long, so keep turning and hope they all fall out when loose.

The two pieces should pop apart, but you may have to tilt the steering wheel max in either direction to get not, then the other. Reverse the procedure to reinstall, making sure the two pieces are snapped together correctly before replacing the three screws.

With those out of the way, the cluster surround can be pulled far enough out to get access to the connector on the auto lamp switch, if present, then you can remove the surround completely. Once it is out, you can see the headlight switch. Remove the retaining nut and connectors and puzzle the switch out.

By the way, there is a small metal release tab on the clip that holds the headlight switch knob onto the shaft - the trick is to pull out, then rotate and look for a small slit, then push out with a thin probe on that tab until the knob is free. That, or pull like I think you did, but be sure the tab isn't bent before reinstalling.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate this forum. Got the switch out and replaced. I've read some horror stories here about melted plugs and switches. I had no indication of either. Switch 'looked' good, but it is a 24 year old switch. Replaced it and the lights seem to work will see if we get any flashing headlights this evening. I think I'll keep all the trim off for now, until I am sure that resolved it.

Thanks again.

One indication may be the amount of white dust that has collected under the switch inside the dash :) Also any wiring that shows heat trauma.

The issue for us is usually the relay that is buried inside the switch. Remember too that the multifunction switches fail on occasion and the start switch, down on the side of the column fails routinely, so be sure to check both.

Also, to extend the life of the new headlight switch, add a relay harness to run the head and fog lights.

There's lots of info on the relay harnesses here in the forums, but basically, you want one that a) connects to the battery or the fender-mounted starter solenoid battery side for the power, b) plugs in where the current headlights or fog lights plug in, and c) has a new plug for the actual lamps. Oh, and is well fused.

They're not really all that hard to make yourself if you're handy and know which end of a soldering iron gets hot :D:D

RwP

Back