Tokico Shocks no more???

90tbird4.7l

after downloading the latest Tokico shock catalog, I was distraught to see that our cars are no longer listed:eek:. Did they stop making shocks for our cars?:confused::(
I can find Tokico shocks for about anything on ebay except ours cars.

call bill at supercoupe he has the lowdown on that,he told me the story about it at the shootout I just can't remember the specifics. But I do remember him mentioning them having a shortage or stopping them for our cars altogether bill would know.

Yes, the story is that once the new U.S. distributor is up and running, we'll see the supply begin to flow again. That was supposed to have happened by now. The latest word says "maybe by summer".

My car has Blistien shocks on it. I had no idea they made a replacement for these cars.

They don't make a replacement for the ARC capable shocks used on these (SC) cars. Lots of manufs., however, make shocks for the MN-12 platform in general, which can be bolted into an SC if the owner decides to abandon ARC.

The ARC seems to still work. I haven't really noticed it not working. But I haven't really looked yet either. Just noticed them while I was assessing my trans issue.

you should be able to hear the actuators when manually switching, with the key on and engine off. they will make a clunk.

My car has Blistien shocks on it. I had no idea they made a replacement for these cars.

Yep, Bilstein used to offer shocks for these cars, though as already mentioned, they were non-adjustable. You can still purchase Bilstein HD shocks for the rear, p/n 24-185356 for the B6's and p/n 24-185974 for the B8's (both listed as a '99-04 Cobra application).

Last edited:
That would be a shame if they didn't offer them anymore. If that ever happened, I guess junkyard scores would be that much sweeter. :D

If they get discontinued, does someone need find out how to rebuild them?

I live ~15miles form a Monroe plant so I could find someone that works there and ask them about it.

If they get discontinued, does someone need find out how to rebuild them?

I live ~15miles form a Monroe plant so I could find someone that works there and ask them about it.

That would be GREAT! I have a complete set of Tokico Illumina IIs which I hated from day one. After talking with some people in the know, I heard of the quality control problems they were having and that every shock coming off the line was basically out of spec. I'd love to find someone that could rebuild them to spec (If we could find that spec. . .)

Non arc shocks work fine! I've got Monroe's on my white Sc and they are a million times better than bad arc shocks

Of course they operate "fine". It's just a matter of being willing to give up the adjustability offered by the ARC system.

Of course they operate "fine". It's just a matter of being willing to give up the adjustability offered by the ARC system.

I wouldn't be so upset about losing the ARC function if there were a decent performance shock absorber out there for us to use, but the Bilsteins are no more, and neither are the Konis. The Monroes and KYBs will work, but they are way too soft for any kind of performance driving, and especially on a lowered SC with stiffer springs, they don't last too long either. Tokicko was the last supplier of good performance shocks with the Illuminas and the Blues, but with those out of production, there simply is no performance option left. My SC is also badly in need of new shocks, and if Tokicko isn't back up and running by the summer, I'll probably end up looking for a low-mileage set of stock SC shocks, since a decent condition used set of those handle better than anything you can go out and buy new.

I wouldn't be so upset about losing the ARC function if there were a decent performance shock absorber out there for us to use, but the Bilsteins are no more, and neither are the Konis. The Monroes and KYBs will work, but they are way too soft for any kind of performance driving, and especially on a lowered SC with stiffer springs, they don't last too long either. Tokicko was the last supplier of good performance shocks with the Illuminas and the Blues, but with those out of production, there simply is no performance option left. My SC is also badly in need of new shocks, and if Tokicko isn't back up and running by the summer, I'll probably end up looking for a low-mileage set of stock SC shocks, since a decent condition used set of those handle better than anything you can go out and buy new.

I agree entirely. Bilstein insert p/n 34-050224 can be installed in the front shocks much like the Koni inserts. Had I not scored a new set of Illumina II's last fall, that is the route I would have taken.

I agree entirely. Bilstein insert p/n 34-050224 can be installed in the front shocks much like the Koni inserts. Had I not scored a new set of Illumina II's last fall, that is the route I would have taken.

Very nice info there to know , Thank you.

Back