Boost and related questions.

OffRoadRanger00

Ok fellas. I got a few questions on this 90 SC I bought about 2 weeks ago. At WOT my factor boost gauge shows right at 10lbs. I thought these things in OE form put down around 12psi. My 93 put out almost 15psi so that's kinda got me puzzled. And along with that I get a kind of "hot metal" smell after i've run it hard. E Temp never gets above where its supposed to be and the fans work and it runs almost perfect, its just the smell. Any light you guys could shead on these issues would be much appriceated!
Wes H.

The age of the car means tubing etc, can leak both vacuum and boost. Some have found tiny leaks in the line leading to the boost gauge and others have found the gauge itself to lack accuracy.

I'd start by checking with a reliable vac/boost gauge first, then start going over the lines (the one for that gauge is on the manifold after the large pipe from the intercooler...see red arrow on pic). Leaks can be at any of the vacuum-only main lines and the path from the supercharger top & where the tubes mate to the intercooler. Sometimes they can be tightened up with zip ties and sometimes they need to be swapped out.

<center>SC_EngineTop04.jpg</center>

If all it basically well, a 5% pulley will bring the boost up should you want more.

As well, it may be just a tired motor :)

Has the car sat for any length of time? Is the smell just inside or can you smell it under the hood or near the exhaust or?

Last edited:
The car did sit awhile before I came along and bought it. its just in the car and you can smell it when you get out. the car only has 140k and has been pretty much driven as a daily. Completely unmolested, just maintained. I'm gonna put my AutoMeter Boost gauge on it and see whats up. The smell bothered me more than anything, its possible the cats could be clogged and getting hot. it also has fairly new o2's on it(prolly replaced when the HG's were done) but other than those 2 things the car runs top notch. The trans amazes me but its supposedly rebuilt with lower miles. it shifts like a brand new car would. And where is the best place to buy the pulleys? I have a feeling now that im driving this car, my 93 had a pulley because it would boost 15-16psi. That's just my thought.

A 5% aluminum jackshaft pulley is a good way to go...easy to install and you drop more rotating weight there than on an SC pulley - you can do both and gain more but be careful at that level on that car without other mods, perhaps. You can check the classifieds here and https://supercoupeperformance.com & http://spinningwheels-sc.com.

Does the smell increase inside the car while driving and using 'Vent' on the heater/AC controls?

A 5% aluminum jackshaft pulley is a good way to go...easy to install and you drop more rotating weight there than on an SC pulley - you can do both and gain more but be careful at that level on that car without other mods, perhaps. You can check the classifieds here and https://supercoupeperformance.com & http://spinningwheels-sc.com.

Does the smell increase inside the car while driving and using 'Vent' on the heater/AC controls?
No. Its consistant and does not get "worse" no matter how much you beat on it. within a few seconds of normal driving it goes away. Its just when you crack into it and stay in it. Exhaust is the first thing on the list for upgrade because I know OEM is crappy and it does have a couple leaks. Remember guys, I've owned one of these before. These are just issues I never had with my other one and wanted opinions before I start trackin it down.

I'm still working to parse 'hot metal' smell :) Good luck w/the new exhaust. Hope that helps.

I got that part - I'm still mulling how to best rank the 1/2 dozen things I'm sure you know it could mean on our cars. Exhaust, of course, is the default suspect without something like squealing/grinding to otherwise go on.

I got that part - I'm still mulling how to best rank the 1/2 dozen things I'm sure you know it could mean on our cars. Exhaust, of course, is the default suspect without something like squealing/grinding to otherwise go on.
Im gonna look into the exhaust because I think its the culprit. Im goin over to my shop this afternoon to fix the passenger window and pull the crappy air silencer out. So i'll check it out while im doing that.

Back