PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket exhaust! Whats the best combo for good sound and good flow?

OffRoadRanger00
02-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Lets hear it guys! Would like some opinions on what cats/mufflers/resonators are out there and what is working for you all. I want good flow and I wanna keep it fairly quiet because I do not like V6's with loud exhaust and I want people to hear the Eaton screaming under the hood over the pipes.

Mike8675309
02-09-2014, 09:24 PM
Cats + resonator + twin mufflers will keep it quiet. Various people have liked various sounds. I like the Borla sound in the 19" body and Mangnaflow can sound good. Generally you want to find the longest body on the muffler to lower the frequency of the exhaust note. Helps to keep the buzz out.

There are a lot of exhaust threads if you search.

Here is a video of my car with magnaflow resonator, and magnaflow mufflers, no cats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_R-Z5594G4

XxSlowpokexX
02-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Seems that a two into 1 back into two keeps it sounding quietest. Using cats keeps the resonance down in my experience.

Mufflers to use. Borlas xs or turbo, Dynomax ultraflows. Should also keep a resonator in there. As been said longest the best.

As you can imagine the cost of mufflers/cats/resonator starts getting pricey. My last exhaust was dual 2.5" with a dynomax ultraflow resonator and mufflers. Also had two metallic core cats. Cheap ones. Sounded great. My resonator cracked an dI put an x pipe in its place....Still didnt sound bad...So you can save 100$ or so keeping that out if your daring

Cats + resonator + twin mufflers will keep it quiet. Various people have liked various sounds. I like the Borla sound in the 19" body and Mangnaflow can sound good. Generally you want to find the longest body on the muffler to lower the frequency of the exhaust note. Helps to keep the buzz out.

Here is a video of my car with magnaflow resonator, and magnaflow mufflers, no cats.

jjklongisland
02-09-2014, 11:07 PM
So keeping the cats in actually make it sound better??? How does the SCP set up sound?

XxSlowpokexX
02-09-2014, 11:16 PM
I had teh SCP setup in a car i bought with kooks headers. Its real quiet with a bit of sound. Not bad at all

superdadsc
02-09-2014, 11:23 PM
My duels on my 94 are as quiet as my 89 with a 3 inch single. Both have cats. I believe it comes to having a big resonator and big mufflers or you get the DRONE!!:eek:

OffRoadRanger00
02-10-2014, 01:54 AM

That sounds freakin AWESOME! Wow

Mike Puckett
02-10-2014, 11:22 AM
BTW, I have a true dual 2.5" complete exhaust system for a late model gas tank and early model manifolds available if you want to go that route.

MadMikeyL
02-10-2014, 01:43 PM
When I pieced my setup together, I wanted to make sure I had plenty of flow, and I didn't think the sound would bother me. The volume of the system has pretty much stayed the same, and is actually a little louder than I would like for a daily driver, but the drone is what was really killing me. I finally got it down to a point where it doesn't really bother me though. The setup now is true dual 2.5" from the manifolds, a pair of high-flow cats into an x-pipe, then to a DIDO 18" resonator, then around the gas tank to 2 thrush welded mufflers out back. The nice thing about the setup is it was cheap, but if doing it over again I probably would have gone with a single 3" setup with a longer dual in single out resonator, and a borla out back.

Red945sp
02-13-2014, 10:09 AM
I have the 3" high flow system from Super Coupe Performance. I have the 2 1/2" down tubes with high flow cats too. I really like the way it sounds. It's not exactly quiet, but it's not obnoxious. It sounds kind of exotic; definitely not ricey.

OffRoadRanger00
02-17-2014, 07:29 PM
BTW, I have a true dual 2.5" complete exhaust system for a late model gas tank and early model manifolds available if you want to go that route.
Message sent

Mike Puckett
02-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Mine sold Sunday.

OffRoadRanger00
03-15-2014, 01:01 PM
So here's my main question at the moment...what kind of resonators is everyone using and which ones sound the best? Hit me with it cause I'm gonna pickin one up ASAP along with new cats.

1FSTBRD
03-15-2014, 03:33 PM
Are there any gains to be had with a true dual setup over a custom one pipe setup? I was thinking about getting a true dual. The reasoning for the one pipe splitting off to the two mufflers at the back....is that moreso because it would be more of a hassle to bend another pipe? I was thinking about getting a dual 2.5 inch resonator, too, but am worried at how it would sound.

Mike Puckett
03-16-2014, 12:03 AM
I had the choice to go either way. I picked up a true dual setup but elected to stay with my 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 setup. My resonator is big and fat and the true dual resonator was skinny and much thinner. It had bullet mufflers on it too, and I was afraid I'd lose the deep rumble mine has and wouldn't really flow any better.

1FSTBRD
03-16-2014, 10:47 AM
I had the choice to go either way. I picked up a true dual setup but elected to stay with my 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 setup. My resonator is big and fat and the true dual resonator was skinny and much thinner. It had bullet mufflers on it too, and I was afraid I'd lose the deep rumble mine has and wouldn't really flow any better.

That's great to know. So you went with a 3 1/2 resonator?

Mike Puckett
03-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Actually, the outlet is 3" but the 3 1/2" center pipe fits perfect right over the 1 inch long piece of pipe at the outlet opening. It's only 3" at that one spot, the rest is 3 1/2" to the splitter.

1FSTBRD
03-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the info! This place is a wealth of knowledge, and I like how friendly everyone is here. It's a nice change of pace from other vehicle forums that i'm on, that almost seem like a competition, with some hostile responses towards people that aren't as knowledgeable as others.

JT15601
03-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Just my 2 cents, I have no cats to an old (like 1985 old) cherry bomb glass pack I took off an old f100 I bought and that's in right behind the tranny then its just a single straight pipe the rest of the way back and comes out the driver side. Its not the best sounding in the world but its freakin loud when u get on it but its smooth and deep below about 3000rpm. My sc is like my toy though, my other car is quiet. I just made it loud for the sake of scaring people on sidewalks and having a louder car than my friends. Its louder than my old 351m ford with stacks. Just without the fire coming out when you downshift :D

jjklongisland
03-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the info! This place is a wealth of knowledge, and I like how friendly everyone is here. It's a nice change of pace from other vehicle forums that i'm on, that almost seem like a competition, with some hostile responses towards people that aren't as knowledgeable as others.

You will not find that here. Its a real good bunch of guys. Become a supporting member and get access to tons of other information in the Members Only part of the forums. I spend hours at night reading through hundreds of posts educating myself on the intricacies of the SC.

superdadsc
03-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Great advise because you get to support the club and there is always a lot to learn!

Jacob_Royer
03-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Great advise because you get to support the club and there is always a lot to learn!

This is why the FB sccoa group is getting to be ignorant lately. People that are to cheap to pay for a membership getting/giving not so good advise thats gone the next day and peope come back and ask the same thing!

1FSTBRD
03-17-2014, 09:20 PM
You will not find that here. Its a real good bunch of guys. Become a supporting member and get access to tons of other information in the Members Only part of the forums. I spend hours at night reading through hundreds of posts educating myself on the intricacies of the SC.

I will be joining the club, for sure, in the next couple of days. This place has been so great, already. When I got my SC, I wasn't sure if I wanted to modify it and improve on what's already there.

Yeah....that lasted about until we drove the car home. :D