How Do I Remove My ECU?

cheezie

My 1990 SC won't run because the fuel pump only operates for the initial ~2 sec period at key ON, fills the line and gives a little spurt of fuel to the engine, then goes quiet. Apparently, the fuel pump never gets the signal to continue running after the initial "key on" command for ~2 seconds. The command to continue I believe needs to come from the ECU and is a switch closure to ground to run the fuel pump. The car has a new fuel pump, open lines to engine, new inline fuel filter, and runs fine when it (temporarily) gets a little fuel from the initial spurt or when ether is squirted into the intake, i.e. the ignition system is ok. Codes for Key On Engine Off are 11, which is PASS. I would like to check the ECU grounding (pin 20) to see if that is bad and preventing the fuel pump signal from happening, but can't figure out how to remove the ECU or how to get at the connector if the ECU is still bolted down. Maybe it's because I'm old and stiff....

I'd appreciate any general advice on my symptoms and specific advice on how to remove the ECU.

Thanks, people! Cheezie

Thats actually normal behaviour. The fuel pump runs for a blip at key on to prime the fuel rails, but once you start cranking it'll turn the fuel pump on and will keep the fuel pump running if the engine is running.

Fraser

Cheezie - The only problem with checking the line from the ECU is that the line from the ECU is what blips it for the 2 seconds also!

I'd start checking why it doesn't think the motor is running.

RwP

Cheezie - The only problem with checking the line from the ECU is that the line from the ECU is what blips it for the 2 seconds also!

I'd start checking why it doesn't think the motor is running.

RwP

Anybody have any suggestions? The +12v to the fuel pump goes away after the ~2 sec initial spurt at "key on" but the engine fires and runs normally when ether starting fluid is squirted into the intake, so the CPS and ignition system is ok. Sure would appreciate a hand on where to look next.

Back