Questions about charging system, old wires, dummy lights and ...

Plat0ribs

So it's been sort of cold up here in Chicago lately, Lol! Couple of weeks ago I started up my 89 SC 5-speed, when I turned on the headlights I got the battery light. Turned off the lights, revved it up (battery light goes off) and scurried over to Autozone (vendor of the battery in the car) they test it out, fail it, and replace it with a new oversize unit because they don't have the exact replacement. Battery light still off now with blower motor and lights on. Jake!

A week passes and I see the battery light again, again turning off the head lights turns off the idiot light. Suspecting the Alternator I pull it off (notice some spark residue on the battery terminal of the alternator) and take the alternator in to be tested, tests out good. 14.5 volts output. Reinstall it, cleaning up the lug for the battery terminal. No more battery light. Jake!

I run it back to the parts house for the parking lot diagnosis on charging system (OK), Battery (OK), starter draw (60 Amps) seems high (now I have learned our starters are rated 110 amps).

Now I'm just chasing the dragon so I make sure I don't get stranded... so up on jacks and I pull the starter just to bench test it and make sure everything checks out. After I get the starter off the car I pull another one of questionable pedigree out of my inventory, figuring if I'm checking starters may as well check both!

The one out of the car tests bad! pretty confusing as I have been starting this car for the past year or two with that starter! The one off the shelf tests good! Running with this information I install the shelf starter, starts the car fine no battery light. I take it back down for the parking lot test box and it tells me the starter draw is 240 the first time, and 180 the second time!

Now I'm debating just stabbing a new starter in there for insurance, but wondering how difficult and expensive it would be to install new starter to battery cable, new alternator to battery, and maybe a few other critical cables while I'm at it. Is there a good source for the cables? Does the battery to starter cable run over the K-frame next to the steering rack?

What say youse what knows your way around these special cars?

I know Fords are famous for ground issues. Where do you add grounds to address the areas/components I'm dealing with.

Any step-by-step advice will be much appreciated.

TIA:)

Last edited:
Have you inspected/replaced the ground cable from the pass. side motor mount over to the body?

Have you inspected/replaced the ground cable from the pass. side motor mount over to the body?

I have not. Will inspect tomorrow.

I stopped off again at the parts house and they tested battery, charging system, and starter, everything tested OK, starter draw 60 amps.

Is there something about a starter that has been sitting for a while unused that would cause it to draw high amps for the first few starts and then settle down to a lower draw after being used?

Just to be clear I have no reason to suspect anything is amiss, just trying to be proactive while it is so cold so I don't get stranded.

I

Is there something about a starter that has been sitting for a while unused that would cause it to draw high amps for the first few starts and then settle down to a lower draw after being used?

Cold weather/engine ? :)

If it is that cold out, trying turning on the headlights for a minute or two first, then see if it starts easier.

Cold weather/engine ? :)

If it is that cold out, trying turning on the headlights for a minute or two first, then see if it starts easier.

It's not starting hard, I was just referring to the fact that immediately after installing the off the shelf starter that had been on the shelf for a couple of years it tested 240 amps, then 180 and today it tested at 60 amps, the same (60 amps) as the starter that failed and that had been in service for the past few years without issue.

Just wondering if a starter loosens up after it has sat for a while and settles down to a lower amp draw? IYKWIM...

Was the starter new/new or new/refurbished? The armature could have corroded up a bit over two years, where being used would polish it out again...any assembly grease on the bushing(s) could have dried out a little. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's still on warranty.

Was the starter new/new or new/refurbished? The armature could have corroded up a bit over two years, where being used would polish it out again...any assembly grease on the bushing(s) could have dried out a little. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's still on warranty.

From above:
"another one of questionable pedigree out of my inventory"

No warranty, no history!

Given everything checked out OKie Dokie on the check-o-matic box at the parts store I'll probably just run it and keep my fingers crossed. I may just throw a new or reman'd starter back in my ready inventory just in case.

Negative temperatures mixed with liberal doses of salt bring out the best in 26 year old cars.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback KMT.

An ounce of prevention is worth a towing bill! Lol.

Back