PDA

View Full Version : Tuning session with Dave Dalke

nickleman60
02-11-2014, 06:09 PM
I'm looking to see if anyone would be interested in getting tuned by David Dalke, aka XR7Dave, in late March. If so you would have to share the cost of a plane ticket, dyno rental and Dave's fee for tuning. I will lodge and feed him (I won't tell him I'm on a diet....:eek:) so you won't have to worry about that. I need to know within 2 weeks so that I can make plans for a dyno rental and Dave can figure out how much time he'll need to tune everyone's car. If no one is interested then I'm willing to fly him in just to tune my car, after spending 6k on upgrades it's worth it to me.

nickleman60
02-14-2014, 09:50 PM
I guess no one needs a tune................

Mike8675309
02-15-2014, 03:19 PM
I guess no one needs a tune................

Is dave only interested in SC cars? You might find some other QH powered vehicles in your area that might like a pro in QH tuning available to tweak their beast. Asking around on a local Mustang sight would give you an indication.

nickleman60
02-15-2014, 04:21 PM
Is dave only interested in SC cars? You might find some other QH powered vehicles in your area that might like a pro in QH tuning available to tweak their beast. Asking around on a local Mustang sight would give you an indication.

I'm not going to advertise to every group around just the SC community. As I mentioned I'm going to have him down to tune my car no matter what, I really don't need anyone else, financially, to make it happen.

Roadhawg
02-15-2014, 05:22 PM
I let Jennifer know about the tuning session, but she did not give me any real answer.

XR7 Dave
02-15-2014, 07:35 PM
I offer SCT as well as BE tuning for anyone with a vehicle supported by either platform. I have the hardware if you need it (chips, QH, X3, etc.) or I can tune your device.

nickleman60
02-23-2014, 11:48 AM
I'll give someone till Weds. to respond to getting tuned then I'm moving forward to make arrangements with Dave to tune my car alone. Once I make those there's no adding you later so don't miss this great opportunity...............

driller
02-23-2014, 12:57 PM
I'd like to play. :D

XR7 Dave
02-23-2014, 05:19 PM

I sent an email to Keith, he should be getting a hold of you.

nickleman60
02-25-2014, 04:51 PM

JP,
I sent you 2 pm's. I need a response ASAP if you want to be included.............

Roadhawg
02-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Have you decided when and where you will be getting a tune?

nickleman60
02-25-2014, 06:32 PM
Have you decided when and where you will be getting a tune?

It'll be one of the last 2 Thurs./Fri.'s of March and I want to rent DTP Racing's dyno. I need to know NOW so that I can reserve the dyno and Dave can make his plane reservations and arrangements

I e-mailed Brent at DTP and let him know that I'll be stopping by his shop on this Friday to reserve the dyno on either 3/21 or 3/28.

Roadhawg
02-26-2014, 09:04 PM
It'll be one of the last 2 Thurs./Fri.'s of March and I want to rent DTP Racing's dyno. I need to know NOW so that I can reserve the dyno and Dave can make his plane reservations and arrangements

I e-mailed Brent at DTP and let him know that I'll be stopping by his shop on this Friday to reserve the dyno on either 3/21 or 3/28.

The reason I asked was, I may stop by and say hello to you and Dave.
I wish I had a car that need a tune and I'm sure the wife would have issues with me putting her new 2014 2.0l ecoboost Fusion on the Dyno for a tune.

nickleman60
02-26-2014, 09:50 PM
The reason I asked was, I may stop by and say hello to you and Dave.
I wish I had a car that need a tune and I'm sure the wife would have issues with me putting her new 2014 2.0l ecoboost Fusion on the Dyno for a tune.

When I finalized the date in a few days I'll let you know what's up. Driller will be bringing his Mark VIII down so it'll be 2 cars being tuned.

nickleman60
03-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Looks like the date will be Friday 3/21/14 in the afternoon 1:00-5:00. That gives us Friday morning to tweak on the cars/tunes before we hit the dyno.

driller
03-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Looking forward to it! :D

David Neibert
03-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Looks like the date will be Friday 3/21/14 in the afternoon 1:00-5:00. That gives us Friday morning to tweak on the cars/tunes before we hit the dyno.

Looking forward to hearing about the results. Hope everything goes well.

David

nickleman60
03-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Hope everything goes well.

David

Me too................:eek:

nickleman60
03-17-2014, 01:15 PM
I was worried about the weather this week but it should be clearing up on Weds. night, then sunny & clear on Thursday and sunny & clear on Friday with a high of 59 degrees. Sounds like good tuning weather..................:D

driller
03-17-2014, 07:49 PM
I was worried about the weather this week ...

LOL... I moved the '96 from underneath the '93 just as it started snowing yesterday evening.

I awoke to a solid 4" snow covering the '96 outside the garage. :o

With any luck, it will be melted off the trailer tomorrow. :)

nickleman60
03-18-2014, 06:48 AM
LOL... I moved the '96 from underneath the '93 just as it started snowing yesterday evening.

I awoke to a solid 4" snow covering the '96 outside the garage. :o

With any luck, it will be melted off the trailer tomorrow. :)

It's been raining down here, not alot but enough. I just want the roads to be dry in case we have to do a little "street tuning".............:eek:

superdadsc
03-18-2014, 06:59 AM
When you are done street tuning do you need a new set of tires?

nickleman60
03-18-2014, 11:23 AM
When you are done street tuning do you need a new set of tires?

I'll let you know after Friday...............................:rolleyes:

Trunk Monkey
03-18-2014, 01:58 PM
You shouldn't need tires. Rob street tunes mine too. Just look out for stray dogs and other wildlife. Nothing will ruin your day like a dog running in front of the car during a pull. I was told this happened once when my car was being tuned. Fortunatly the dog made it out of the way in time. :eek:

XR7 Dave
03-18-2014, 02:59 PM
We don't do pulls on the street. I think Keith is just talking about basic drivability manners.

superdadsc
03-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Good luck!!!! Sounds like a whole lotta fun! I am sure it feels great knowing that it will be tuned properly and sounds like you will have it at the track soon too.

nickleman60
03-18-2014, 03:11 PM
We don't do pulls on the street. I think Keith is just talking about basic drivability manners.

My name isn't Corey..................:eek:

But yeah Dave's right, even at slow speed my car hits the gears hard and if it's wet I might lose control and spin..............:eek:

BLOWN38
03-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Blah you guys are boring.

Miller
03-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Real men tune on the street. ;)

nickleman60
03-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Real men tune on the street. ;)

Can't afford a ticket after spending $$$ on the Whipple................:rolleyes:

Miller
03-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Daves supposed to drive 😜

nickleman60
03-19-2014, 07:12 PM
Daves supposed to drive 

I don't know..........he's used to 12 second cars not 10 second ones..............:p

BLOWN38
03-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Guess nothing good happened today.:(

Roadhawg
03-21-2014, 05:13 PM
Guess nothing good happened today.:(

They were at the Dyno today!

BLOWN38
03-21-2014, 06:47 PM
How long does it take to tune 2 cars?

Wheres the live updates?

XR7 Dave
03-22-2014, 08:58 AM
How long does it take to tune 2 cars?

Wheres the live updates?Ha, funny guy. All top dogs know that Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are fast SuperCoupes. We made a lot of progress but the journey continues. No HP #'s at this time.

nickleman60
03-22-2014, 10:05 AM
When Dave first got here he was looking over my install of the blower kit. He liked what he saw except for how I had relocated the temp sensor for the ECU due to new fuel line routing, it was causing it to read way lower than the actually water temp causing hard start ups once it was warm. This in turn probably fouled the plugs a bit but it wasn't noticed until the car was on the dyno in the upper rpm ranges. So by this time, for one I didn't have any plugs with me and for two there wasn't enough time left on the dyno rental to go get them and install then tune some more so we had to call it a day, never even got to playing with the nitrous. Dave never had the chance to put some timing in it so I believe there's still quite a bit left on the table. I believe with 20 degrees of timing it made 383.3 rwhp with ignition (spark) issues. The boost at 10% OD was 20 lbs. so I had a 5% jackshaft pulley so I put it on and it went up to 22 lbs. but magnified the spark issue so the power went down. I'm changing plugs at the moment and after pulling the passenger side the #2 cylinder was pretty black, #1 & #3 didn't look bad, I'll get to the drivers side next. Anyways after I change the plugs and re-orient the temp. sensor to work correctly I'll take it for a spin and see how it does then I head back to the dyno, put some timing in it and see what happens.

Finished changing the plugs plus gapping them down to .028" from .032" and except for #2 they didn't look bad imo.

David Neibert
03-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Keith,

This is how it usually goes when sorting out a new combo. BTW, What plugs are you using ? I've had real good results with XP103s gapped to .030. Are you using an onboard wideband and the one from the dyno to compare readings ?

nickleman60
03-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Keith,

This is how it usually goes when sorting out a new combo. BTW, What plugs are you using ? I've had real good results with XP103s gapped to .030. Are you using an onboard wideband and the one from the dyno to compare readings ?

David
I run Autolite 103's gapped @ .032" but now gapped @ .028". Yes, both AFR reading were looked at and compared.

Another thing that made the trip a good one was that Dave talked to the shop owner/tuner, Brent, and gave him some info on the QH so that when I'm ready I can have him add some timing. Brent's a Ford guy and tunes some 8-9 sec cars including his own Mustang but he wasn't familiar with our platform. Dave let him know that the QH is great for tuning Fox bodies so maybe he'll get into and then I'll have a local guy to help me out.

Last edited by nickleman60; Today at 12:54 PM.

superdadsc
03-22-2014, 05:21 PM
That's sounds like you are on the road to some serious power! Good luck with getting her ironed out!

nickleman60
03-23-2014, 09:11 AM
That's sounds like you are on the road to some serious power! Good luck with getting her ironed out!

Maybe with more timing and no spark issues I can make 450 rwhp, I'd like more but would be satisfied with at least that.

We'll see I guess, dyno numbers are nice but the main thing is that I want a 10 sec. time slip...........:rolleyes:

David Neibert
03-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Keith,

Did the misfiring issue go away with the tighter plug gap ?

What MAF sensor are you using ?

Do you have bungs on both sides of the motor so wideband o2 sensor can be placed on either side ?

Are you using a methanol injection system ? If so what size nozzles and how many ?

BTW, We had similar problems with mine after installing the 2.3 Whipple, but eventually concluded it was way too rich because the local dyno's wideband we were using to tune the car with was way off on the calibration. At the time I didn't have my own wideband, but I did when it was re-tuned on the "Dream Crusher" after installing the 95mm TB. Even after switching my sensor and the dyno sensor around, the readings were a half a point leaner on one side of the motor than the other, so we ended up switching my wideband to the lean side of the motor for tuning.

David

nickleman60
03-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Keith,

Did the misfiring issue go away with the tighter plug gap ?

What MAF sensor are you using ?

Do you have bungs on both sides of the motor so wideband o2 sensor can be placed on either side ?

Are you using a methanol injection system ? If so what size nozzles and how many ?

BTW, We had similar problems with mine after installing the 2.3 Whipple, but eventually concluded it was way too rich because the local dyno's wideband we were using to tune the car with was way off on the calibration. At the time I didn't have my own wideband, but I did when it was re-tuned on the "Dream Crusher" after installing the 95mm TB. Even after switching my sensor and the dyno sensor around, the readings were a half a point leaner on one side of the motor than the other, so we ended up switching my wideband to the lean side of the motor for tuning.

David
The answers to your questions.
1. Don't know yet, weather's been zhitty.
2. SCT BA5000 slot maf
3. No, only the drivers side long tube.
4. No methanol, Dave said that I didn't need it.
5. I have an Innovate LC-1? wideband setup.

Maybe Dave can chime in with some "professional tuner" info.

nickleman60
04-20-2014, 01:08 PM
I been doing some reading on dyno brand differences and it seems to be a standard answer that a Dyno Dynamic dyno reads around 12% less rwhp than a Dynojet dyno and 2% less than a Mustang dyno. If this is the case and since I dyno'd on a Dyno Dynamics then my rwhp numbers could be around 429 if on a Dynojet. To me this would make more sense with the amount of timing, or lack of, Dave was only able to put into it due the spark issue. I know some will say not to get hung up on numbers but I can't help it, especially with others with similar set-ups are putting up big numbers.

XR7 Dave
04-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Keith,

A Dyno Jet is the most consistent and reliable dyno numbers, regardless of what anyone says. The Dyno Jet is a very simple device where you mechanically accelerate a fixed weight and that's it. Dyno Jets do have some drawbacks.

1) The mechanical part of a Dyno Jet has never changed, and it doesn't change over the life of the dyno. A 20 yr old Dyno Jet is just as accurate as a new one. This is a big plus.

2) It's a well known fact that the software that the early Dyno Jet's used had flaws. Remember the old days when automatic transmission cars had a huge torque spike at the beginning of the run? You know, the ones where the AOD cars recorded 500ftlbs torque? Not anymore. Dyno Jet has improved their software to generate more accurate numbers. Current Dyno Jet software is very accurate. If the dyno has the lastest software, it's numbers are going to be right. Hence a lot of guys observed lower HP numbers than they expected at the Shootout last year. This is not because the dyno was stingy or the weather was bad, it's just that the numbers were accurate! Backstreet has the latest Dyno software. They do a large volume of high HP cars and race cars and their equipment is top notch.

3) Some shops don't use their equipment that much and some are running old software. Some do it on purpose.

4) Weather station data is critical to accurate #'s. Some shops have their weather station inside the dyno case which is subject to much higher heat than ambient, some never check their weather stations. Correction factors are always a big concern whenever looking at numbers. Remember, garbage in - garbage out.

5) Mustang Dyno combines a heavy drum with an eddy current brake. This means that the actual output of the eddy currents has to be periodically checked to verify performance, and recalibration is needed from time to time. Often times an operator won't know when the eddy current is running out of spec. Frankly it can be very hard to tell. The eddy current has a lot of advantages - increasing load for turbo cars, steady state tuning for speed density cars, etc. But it has it's limits too.

6) Dyno Dynamics is essentially pure eddy current. This means that the results are 100% the responsibility of the operator and his machine. It is very easy to manipulate DD numbers all over the place, and/or to enter false calibrations. It is for this reason that DD dyno's are not favored for "internet racing". They are great tuning tools, but you have to be very careful when comparing numbers. I've seen DD numbers much higher than Dyno Jet, and I've seen them much lower. It just depends. There was a guy on the original SCCOA top HP list claiming 340rwhp @ 4400rpm on a stock longblock. He had Dyno Dynamics dyno sheets to prove it, but that didn't make it realistic. There are other examples.

So to your comments about power numbers, they are just numbers. Forget about it. Sorry, but that's all you can do. Your car didn't make any power at all in my opinion because we never got to the point of being able to test actual power, we were only in the middle of tuning and never got to a power #. You have to sort out the ignition issue we were having and finish the tune before anything can be said. That and get to the track.

JT's03
04-20-2014, 05:18 PM
You are on the right track. Once you get your combo sorted you have all the parts needed to make big power. Not all (myself included) hit their goal first time out with these motors.

kenewagner
04-20-2014, 05:55 PM
I been doing some reading on dyno brand differences and it seems to be a standard answer that a Dyno Dynamic dyno reads around 12% less rwhp than a Dynojet dyno and 2% less than a Mustang dyno. If this is the case and since I dyno'd on a Dyno Dynamics then my rwhp numbers could be around 429 if on a Dynojet. To me this would make more sense with the amount of timing, or lack of, Dave was only able to put into it due the spark issue. I know some will say not to get hung up on numbers but I can't help it, especially with others with similar set-ups are putting up big numbers.

Dont feel to bad Keith, I made 421 rwhp with my 2.3 Whipple. I was never very happy with that. On the other hand I didnt pursue further tuning or making changes so I cant kick to much as I am sure I could have made more. I gave up on the Whipple more because I wanted something diffrent than because of low numbers. Follow Daves advice and keep dialing it in and those numbers will go up

Ken

frdlvr30
05-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Dyno Tuned Performance closed it's doors Thursday. Restructuring and moving to Chesapeake under a new name. Which tells me he had partnership issues.

nickleman60
05-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Dyno Tuned Performance closed it's doors Thursday. Restructuring and moving to Chesapeake under a new name. Which tells me he had partnership issues.

That's interesting, I wonder what the issue was between Shawn and Brent and who's going to move forward with the new business?

Roadhawg
06-04-2014, 04:59 AM
I would guess Brent.