High beam lights problem

JT15601

This is a small problem that has been not too big of a deal but I think its time I figure it out. I got my sc a couple months ago and when id flip on my high beams sometimes they wouldnt come on or were like delayed. And it got worse and worse until they don't work at all now. When I flip the switch the little light does NOT come on on the dash and the bulbs are good. So I figure its either the switch or the relay but everything else on the switch works (turn signals wipers etc.) And I don't know which relay is for the high beams. I tried just switching the relays out on the fuse panel for knonw good ones and trying it and nothing changes. I don't know which one is the high beam relay... is the high beam relay located somewhere else? Or what am I missing here because it can't be too complicated right?

Thanks

Ford's design was to run too much current thru the headlight switch (fog lights are on the same circuit), which contains a relay/thermal overload circuit - age kills it. Expect a new switch at least.

Next suspect is the multi-function switch (turn signals, wipers, hi-low beams) on the steering column. And while you're at it, check the ignition switch down on the right side of the steering column (not the key cylinder) - they open up and cause both intermittent and hard fails.

Well my fog lights work the switch has already been replaced with a big bulky toggle switch. So would that in case mean its the one on the column?

Do your fog lights work without the headlights being on?

How old is the headlight switch?

If low beams work, but highs do not, it's not the switch on the dash (for right now!)

The MFS is, as it says, a multi function switch. Just because the turn signals and flash-to-pass works does not mean the high/low switch works.

There's an article on cleaning the MFS at MN12TECH.COM . Or, take the steering column shroud off, verify the part number (especially the suffix - a AA switch doesn't work for an AB, and neither for a BA, properly!) and order a new switch.

Then, to avoid this happening again, add a relay harness to get that current out of the MFS.

You mention checking the relay. Guess what, bucko, that relay cost Ford something like 25 cents each, and that was too much to avoid the increased chance of the steering column / dash switch catching fire.

Blarg.

(I'd also relay the fog lights, because if the wiring path is factory, and they only come on with the low beams, their current is ALSO being pulled through the switches!)

RwP

If low beams work, but highs do not, it's not the switch on the dash (for right now!)

The MFS is, as it says, a multi function switch. Just because the turn signals and flash-to-pass works does not mean the high/low switch works.

The flash to pass doesn't work nor do the high beams. Like they won't work. And my fogs will NOT come on without the headlights on.

The flash to pass doesn't work nor do the high beams. Like they won't work. And my fogs will NOT come on without the headlights on.

Do the low beams work at all?

And naturally the fogs won't come on without the low beams on. Since the power runs from the MFS to the fog light switch, off the low beam circuit ...

BTW - A LOT of this becomes obvious when you peruse the wiring diagrams in the EVTM. That should be part of The Bible if you're maintaining one of these.

(The Factory Service Manual is the major portion ... )

BTW - Fogs should NOT be on without the low beams on. They should be OFF on high beams. This is by design. Lights you use with high beams are "driving lights", not fog lights, to maintain the far field visibility killed by too much light in the near field with fog lights on.

RwP

Back