PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a carport

joenintiesc
02-12-2014, 05:11 PM
To park my SC in of course. Anyone buy a carport? I was checking out carport.com, and they seem to have reasonable prices, and a cool site that lets you build a carport with a wide variety of configurations and instant price updates.

So my build is a 21L X 12W X 6H, full side walls, and a few other upgrades. Comes out to $1545 delivered and installed. Interestingly, I can go 13' wide for an extra $100 - or all the way up to 18'W - still for only an extra $100! So I would probably go wider than 12'.

Never had a carport before, so any advice, suggestions appreciated! I do have one of those portable garage tents that a buddy had put on my property to store all his car parts in, and he left it for me after emptying it. My SC is in there now, but it leaks. A carport just seems so much sturdier and visually more appealing then the tent.

SCTBIRD1173
02-13-2014, 12:36 PM
I do have one of those portable garage tents that a buddy had put on my property to store all his car parts in, and he left it for me after emptying it. My SC is in there now, but it leaks.

Some "buddy"... :D

joenintiesc
02-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Some "buddy"... :D

It's all good - he offered to come and seal it for me! ;)

SCTBIRD1173
02-13-2014, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't expect anything less from a good friend!

Guess no one has a carport Joe...

joenintiesc
02-13-2014, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't expect anything less from a good friend!

Guess no one has a carport Joe...

Oh, well. Bet I'll get some responses if I post this on Facebook...

KMT
02-13-2014, 07:52 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=carport

joenintiesc
02-13-2014, 07:58 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=carport

Thanks for the link - looking for something sturdier though (metal or poly roof/ walls).

KMT
02-13-2014, 08:27 PM
I think the build you mentioned is good for the price - no issues/restrictions w/local building codes?

joenintiesc
02-13-2014, 09:30 PM
I think the build you mentioned is good for the price - no issues/restrictions w/local building codes?

Lol, I was just looking into that aspect. I'll have to call my township, because its unclear reading through the codes for permits. Makes it sound like you can request an exemption if not attached, nor fully enclosed, and does not pose an impact to neighbors, drainage, et...