PDA

View Full Version : Body Work Guys, How Much Will This Body Work Cost Me?

Xounlistedxox
02-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm fixing up my Thunderbird SC, and it's in need of body work. Just thought I'd see if you could give me any rough estimate of how much I can look forward to spending on fixing this body damage.

Here's the major stuff:

This is on the passenger side right behind the door, and also a crease on the door itself about 3' long
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/xounlistedxox/20140212_153944_zpsf8c778be.jpg

This is on the driver side rear of the body by the trunk lid:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/xounlistedxox/20140212_153930_zps73b19f86.jpg

Thanks,
Brandon

MadMikeyL
02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
To make that right side quarter right, you really need to replace the quarter, so that is probably about 16-20 hours plus the cost of getting a quarter from a junkyard, plus cleanup time on the used quarter, plus r&i the rear glass. The door, probably about 6 hours repair, and then probably another 4-5 hours repair on the left quarter. The typical body shop rate by me is about $50/hr, so that means at least $600 just in body work labor, plus probably $300 for a used quarter, plus materials, you are looking at probably at least $1500 just to put it in primer, and then you are painting at least the whole right side, plus the trunklid, plus the left quarter, so figure another $2000 minimum in paint work, and then the rest of the paint on the car doesn't look that good, so you are probably going to want to paint the whole car, so figure another $2000 minimum for the rest of the paint, so you are fast approaching $6000 to get it completely fixed and done right. My advice would be to just find a car with a good body and paint but maybe a bad motor or something that you can swap your motor into.

KMT
02-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Looks like a complete door at the yard is around $60. Patience would get you a color match & pennies for new hinges/roller while you're at it.

As for the 1/4 panel, cruise around rancho cordova until someone chats you up at the stop light :) ...then get the whole car shot at once.

Xounlistedxox
02-12-2014, 10:57 PM
I was actually leaning towards learning to do body work myself. Tired of being at the helpless end of that side of automotive work. I can pick up tools and start messing around. Thats how I learned to work on cars. Worse comes to worse I just have the panel replaced etc

There's bound to be a russian auto body shop that is used to making one car from two cars around that can fix this for a reasonable price. My buddy got t boned in his lincoln mark viii and they made that look like it never happened

sccrewzer
02-13-2014, 12:54 AM
what I did in the past was join a ROP auto body class in the local college and learn to do it myself and using all there professional tools and material then there was always someone there that knew how to do it and would help out. It's cheap and you learn something. other than that figure on spending at least $2500 to fix.

02-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Way more than the car is worth. get another with a good body.

Jacob_Royer
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
That thing is a parts car! Not worth fixing the body there are so many out there better to swap drove train parts into.

superdadsc
02-13-2014, 12:38 PM
I bought a 928 that needed a lot of cosmetic work. I can't imagine what a shop would have charged me. I started reading on the internet and started at it. It's all about labor hrs, painting was the fun part!!! Underneath the paint is an aluminum body!

Give it a shot! It is a nice feeling to say you painted your car when someone compliment's you on how nice it looks!!

S_Mazza
02-13-2014, 01:00 PM
That thing is a parts car! Not worth fixing the body there are so many out there better to swap drove train parts into.

It's going to cost a pretty penny to get it back to perfect shape. But a drivetrain swap is a recipe for TWO parts cars.

I would say, talk to the Russian guys and see what they say. In the mean time, drive it till the cows come home!

pro street rich
02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
I think most of that will buff right out. After that just drive it and start looking for a better one. There are a lot of good bodies out there, take your time and start looking.....Rich

Xounlistedxox
02-13-2014, 06:35 PM
I'm liking the idea of signing up for an auto body class for sure. That would step my auto game up big time, then I'd have even less limitations. I can rebuild motors, and repair just about anything on a car. Body work is something I've never tried. I would rather not deal with any sort of drivetrain swap, and I sure as heck won't be putting anything SC on a non SC original, plus I like to be all original numbers matching is at all possible. This car runs and drives great, has good power etc, so I'm in it for the long haul if I don't wind up selling it as is. If I can fix the body myself then that will definitely keep my interest in the car. I've fixed so much on this car, and now it's coming down to only a few more things left that need immediate attention. Once I'm at the point of nothing needing major attention I will be feeling much better about the car. Right now I'm kinda at the point of "what the heck did I get myself into!"

Swanny
02-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Hell no, that's not a parts car. DIY, save some big cash and learn stuff along the way. That's not too bad, it's all fixable. I'm on http://www.autobody101.com a good site to learn from plus they have a forum, you can ask specific questions about auto body repair there (I'm not affiliated with them but I am a member).

02-13-2014, 09:31 PM
i still say its beyond the first timer, learning from the internet prolly would cost more than going to auto body school (mistakes cost twice as much). wonder what an auto body tuition costs? how many months of book work before you get hands on? ya spend that 4k on a car that dosent need body work. just my thoughts.

Jacob_Royer
02-13-2014, 10:17 PM
I see sc's in much better shape for 1500 or less all the time. Use it for a work car I wouldn't mess with riding that.II'm looking at 2000$ just to paint one that isn't messed up

KMT
02-13-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm liking the idea of signing up for an auto body class for sure.

Go for it - great excuse to learn and a good investment in time, etc.

Xounlistedxox
02-14-2014, 02:32 AM
I see sc's in much better shape for 1500 or less all the time. Use it for a work car I wouldn't mess with riding that.II'm looking at 2000$ just to paint one that isn't messed up

Maybe in better shape cosmetically, but this one runs excellent & Im invested into it a lot of time & $ so far. Not planning on giving up yet unless someone wants to pay me good $ for this car. It's the only 5 speed I've seen in my area in the several years I've casually looked for one.

Fortunately while I was at work I ran into a body guy who said he would help teach me how to do it & made it sound a lot less complicated than I was thinking. While I was on my days off he came in twice looking for me,so hopefully he comes back in, so I can get a better idea what he's thinking.

Swanny
02-14-2014, 03:43 PM
...Fortunately while I was at work I ran into a body guy who said he would help teach me how to do it & made it sound a lot less complicated than I was thinking. While I was on my days off he came in twice looking for me,so hopefully he comes back in, so I can get a better idea what he's thinking.

Awesome !!

Xounlistedxox
02-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Awesome !!

Yeah I thought so. He stopped in last night. I got his # so now I just gotta schedule some time and see what I can make happen with his help. He's confidant it can be fixed, of course it will take time and effort, but it'll be worth the learning experience and money savings for sure